[IP] EFF: Secret Surveillance Evidence Unsealed in AT&T Spying Cas

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 14 03:03:18 PDT 2007

Well, the need for optical amplifiers is not so much a power availability
issue so much as a complexity issue. If one has dozens or hundreds of
fibers, remember that each of these is going to be some random wavelength in
the 1310nm or 1550nm band: You won't be able to use a single optical
amplifier to amplifiy multiple wavelengths: You'll need one for each fiber.
So now, you need the space and the manpower (not to mention electrical power
and heat dissipation) to handle a lot of OFAs.
Now I wouldn't be suprised if there existed a VERY small in-line EDFA
(erbium-doped fiber amplifier) that could operate on a smalll amount of
power (perhaps battery?) and just hang off the end of a splitter. No, they
would obviously incorporate the WDFA into a 'powered splitter' (such a thing
has to eexist now that I think about it).
But the trick would be to lower the number of fibers needed to tap and then
hope that most of those are operating more than 3dB above their floor, and
then if you have to split and optically power such a fiber.
This implies a level of prioritization even prior to reaching the 'secret
room'.

So what can that Narus box do? Layer 3/4 seems obvious. Layer 7? Can it
detect the presence of encryption? Can it detect the type and strength of
encryption? Can it detect the existence of jpegs, mpegs, mp3s and so on?
Does it support routing protocols? So, could it handle an instruction like:

If the source of the packet is located in Brooklyn

If the destination is a cave in Aghanistan
If encryption = YES,
Then route to NSA...

If destination is Kebab King in Jackson Heights
If encryption=NO,
then route to Local Storage

etc...

-TD