[IP] EFF: Secret Surveillance Evidence Unsealed in AT&T Spying Case

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 13 03:06:43 PDT 2007

First of all, anyone have the latest word about Cryptome?

Second of all, I took a look at these and what's becomming quite clear is
that they don't really say that much. They basically just show how the LGXs
are connected and interface into and out of the "secret room" via
splitters.* It does say that a buttload of traffic is being split and sent
off to NSA equipmet, but the real missing piece is just how that traffic
gets back to NSA. I still believe that they just can't send back EVERYTHING,
and have to have several layers of prioritzation, so that only fairly
interesting traffic makes it back in real time (this is not to say that they
don't possibly route and store uninteresting local traffic for future
reference) but they can't get everything back to, for instance, DC in real
time.

Another question I've had for a while is how they get around the loss
budgets in certain cases. Dropping a 3dB splitter into an OC-48 signal
that's pushed to the limit will result in some signficant BER degredation.
Do they just avoid those signals? DO they put in some kind of in-line
optical amplifier? (That's not trivial, as they have to electrically power
such a device.)

-TD

*: On the other hand, the existence of splitters alone proves that this is
not standard CALEA, so when the case broke this was significant. But
technologically it's not all that interesting nor surprising (for 'paranoid'
Cypherpunks, at least).