Microsoft protects me against ... Microsoft

David de Leeuw ddl at medic.bgu.ac.il
Mon Jul 16 23:07:19 PDT 2007

After the latest monthly automatic updates for Windows XP,
I got the following message on my screen:

  Data Execution Prevention: Microsoft Windows

  To help protect you computer, Windows has closed this program.
  Name: Windows Explorer
  Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

  Data Execution Prevention helps protect against damage from viruses
  and other security threats.   What should I do?

Here is the screen picture:

http://fohs.bgu.ac.il/bgu-med/pub/windowserror.jpg

I will leave it to the Risks readers to find a creative explanation.

David de Leeuw, Medical Computing Unit, Ben Gurion University of the Negev
Beer Sheva, Israel

  [Actually, a Beer sounds like a good idea,
  after which you could Sit Shiva for your PC.  PGN]