CRYPTO-GRAM, July 15, 2007

Bruce Schneier schneier at SCHNEIER.COM
Sun Jul 15 14:34:11 PDT 2007

                 CRYPTO-GRAM

                July 15, 2007

              by Bruce Schneier
               Founder and CTO
                BT Counterpane
             schneier at schneier.com
            http://www.schneier.com
           http://www.counterpane.com

A free monthly newsletter providing summaries, analyses, insights, and
commentaries on security: computer and otherwise.

For back issues, or to subscribe, visit
<http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram.html>.

You can read this issue on the web at
<http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0707.html>.  These same essays
appear in the "Schneier on Security" blog:
<http://www.schneier.com/blog>.  An RSS feed is available.

In this issue:
     Correspondent Inference Theory and Terrorism
     TSA and the Sippy Cup Incident
     News
     Ubiquity of Communication
     4th Amendment Rights Extended to E-Mail
     Credit Card Gas Limits
     Schneier/BT Counterpane News
     Designing Voting Machines to Minimize Coercion
     Risks of Data Reuse
     Comments from Readers

     Correspondent Inference Theory and Terrorism

Two people are sitting in a room together: an experimenter and a
subject. The experimenter gets up and closes the door, and the room
becomes quieter. The subject is likely to believe that the
experimenter's purpose in closing the door was to make the room quieter.

This is an example of correspondent inference theory.  People tend to
infer the motives -- and also the disposition -- of someone who performs
an action based on the effects of his actions, and not on external or
situational factors. If you see someone violently hitting someone else,
you assume it's because he wanted to -- and is a violent person -- and
not because he's play-acting. If you read about someone getting into a
car accident, you assume it's because he's a bad driver and not because
he was simply unlucky. And -- more importantly for this column -- if you
read about a terrorist, you assume that terrorism is his ultimate goal.

It's not always this easy, of course.  If someone chooses to move to
Seattle instead of New York, is it because of the climate, the culture
or his career? Edward Jones and Keith Davis, who advanced this theory in
the 1960s and 1970s, proposed a theory of "correspondence" to describe
the extent to which this effect predominates. When an action has a high
correspondence, people tend to infer the motives of the person directly
from the action: e.g., hitting someone violently. When the action has a
low correspondence, people tend to not to make the assumption: e.g.,
moving to Seattle.

Like most cognitive biases, correspondent inference theory makes
evolutionary sense. In a world of simple actions and base motivations,
it's a good rule of thumb that allows a creature to rapidly infer the
motivations of another creature. (He's attacking me because he wants to
kill me.) Even in sentient and social creatures like humans, it makes a
lot of sense most of the time. If you see someone violently hitting
someone else, it's reasonable to assume that he's a violent person.
Cognitive biases aren't bad; they're sensible rules of thumb.

But like all cognitive biases, correspondent inference theory fails
sometimes. And one place it fails pretty spectacularly is in our
response to terrorism. Because terrorism often results in the horrific
deaths of innocents, we mistakenly infer that the horrific deaths of
innocents is the primary motivation of the terrorist, and not the means
to a different end.

I found this interesting analysis in a paper by Max Abrahms in
"International Security."  "Why Terrorism Does Not Work" analyzes the
political motivations of 28 terrorist groups: the complete list of
"foreign terrorist organizations" designated by the U.S. Department of
State since 2001. He lists 42 policy objectives of those groups, and
found that they only achieved them 7 percent of the time.

According to the data, terrorism is more likely to work if 1) the
terrorists attack military targets more often than civilian ones, and 2)
if they have minimalist goals like evicting a foreign power from their
country or winning control of a piece of territory, rather than
maximalist objectives like establishing a new political system in the
country or annihilating another nation. But even so, terrorism is a
pretty ineffective means of influencing policy.

There's a lot to quibble about in Abrahms' methodology, but he seems to
be erring on the side of crediting terrorist groups with success.
(Hezbollah's objectives of expelling both peacekeepers and Israel out of
Lebanon counts as a success, but so does the "limited success" by the
Tamil Tigers of establishing a Tamil state.) Still, he provides good
data to support what was until recently common knowledge: Terrorism
doesn't work.

This is all interesting stuff, and I recommend that you read the paper
for yourself. But to me, the most insightful part is when Abrahms uses
correspondent inference theory to explain why terrorist groups that
primarily attack civilians do not achieve their policy goals, even if
they are minimalist. Abrahms writes:

"The theory posited here is that terrorist groups that target civilians
are unable to coerce policy change because terrorism has an extremely
high correspondence. Countries believe that their civilian populations
are attacked not because the terrorist group is protesting unfavorable
external conditions such as territorial occupation or poverty. Rather,
target countries infer the short-term consequences of terrorism -- the
deaths of innocent civilians, mass fear, loss of confidence in the
government to offer protection, economic contraction, and the inevitable
erosion of civil liberties -- (are) the objects of the terrorist groups.
In short, target countries view the negative consequences of terrorist
attacks on their societies and political systems as evidence that the
terrorists want them destroyed. Target countries are understandably
skeptical that making concessions will placate terrorist groups believed
to be motivated by these maximalist objectives."

In other words, terrorism doesn't work, because it makes people less
likely to acquiesce to the terrorists' demands, no matter how limited
they might be. The reaction to terrorism has an effect completely
opposite to what the terrorists want; people simply don't believe those
limited demands are the actual demands.

This theory explains, with a clarity I have never seen before, why so
many people make the bizarre claim that al Qaeda terrorism -- or Islamic
terrorism in general -- is "different": that while other terrorist
groups might have policy objectives, al Qaeda's primary motivation is to
kill us all. This is something we have heard from President Bush again
and again -- Abrahms has a page of examples in the paper -- and is a
rhetorical staple in the debate.

In fact, Bin Laden's policy objectives have been surprisingly
consistent. Abrahms lists four; here are six from former CIA analyst
Michael Scheuer's book "Imperial Hubris":

* End U.S. support of Israel

* Force American troops out of the Middle East, particularly Saudi Arabia

* End the U.S. occupation of Afghanistan and (subsequently) Iraq

* End U.S. support of other countries' anti-Muslim policies

* End U.S. pressure on Arab oil companies to keep prices low

* End U.S. support for "illegitimate" (i.e. moderate) Arab governments,
like Pakistan

Although Bin Laden has complained that Americans have completely
misunderstood the reason behind the 9/11 attacks, correspondent
inference theory postulates that he's not going to convince people.
Terrorism, and 9/11 in particular, has such a high correspondence that
people use the effects of the attacks to infer the terrorists' motives.
In other words, since Bin Laden caused the death of a couple of thousand
people in the 9/11 attacks, people assume that must have been his actual
goal, and he's just giving lip service to what he *claims* are his
goals. Even Bin Laden's actual objectives are ignored as people focus on
the deaths, the destruction and the economic impact.

Perversely, Bush's misinterpretation of terrorists' motives actually
helps prevent them from achieving their goals.

None of this is meant to either excuse or justify terrorism. In fact, it
does the exact opposite, by demonstrating why terrorism doesn't work as
a tool of persuasion and policy change.  But we're more effective at
fighting terrorism if we understand that it is a means to an end and not
an end in itself; it requires us to understand the true motivations of
the terrorists and not just their particular tactics.  And the more our
own cognitive biases cloud that understanding, the more we
mischaracterize the threat and make bad security trade-offs.

http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1162/isec.2006.31.2.42

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correspondent_inference_theory

Cognitive biases:
http://www.healthbolt.net/2007/02/14/26-reasons-what-you-think-is-right-is-wrong/
or http://tinyurl.com/2oo5nk

This essay originally appeared on Wired.com:
http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2007/07/securitymatters_0712
or http://tinyurl.com/3y322f

     TSA and the Sippy Cup Incident

This story is pretty disgusting:  "I demanded to speak to a TSA
[Transportation Security Administration] supervisor who asked me if the
water in the sippy cup was 'nursery water or other bottled water.' I
explained that the sippy cup water was filtered tap water. The sippy cup
was seized as my son was pointing and crying for his cup. I asked if I
could drink the water to get the cup back, and was advised that I would
have to leave security and come back through with an empty cup in order
to retain the cup. As I was escorted out of security by TSA and a police
officer, I unscrewed the cup to drink the water, which accidentally
spilled because I was so upset with the situation.

"At this point, I was detained against my will by the police officer and
threatened to be arrested for endangering other passengers with the
spilled 3 to 4 ounces of water. I was ordered to clean the water, so I
got on my hands and knees while my son sat in his stroller with no shoes
on since they were also screened and I had no time to put them back on
his feet. I asked to call back my fianci, who I could still see from
afar, waiting for us to clear security, to watch my son while I was
being detained, and the officer threatened to arrest me if I moved. So I
yelled past security to get the attention of my fianci.

"I was ordered to apologize for the spilled water, and again threatened
arrest. I was threatened several times with arrest while detained, and
while three other police officers were called to the scene of the mother
with the 19 month old. A total of four police officers and three TSA
officers reported to the scene where I was being held against my will. I
was also told that I should not disrespect the officer and could be
arrested for this too. I apologized to the officer and she continued to
detain me despite me telling her that I would miss my flight. The
officer advised me that I should have thought about this before I
'intentionally spilled the water!'"

This story portrays the TSA as jack-booted thugs.  The story hit the
Internet in mid-June, and quickly made the rounds.  I saw it on
BoingBoing. But, as it turns out, it's not entirely true.

The TSA has a webpage up, with both the incident report and video.

"TSO [REDACTED] took the female to the exit lane with the stroller and
her bag.  When she got past the exit lane podium she opened the child's
drink container and held her arm out and poured the contents (approx. 6
to 8 ounces) on the floor.  MWAA Officer [REDACTED] was manning the exit
lane at the time and observed the entire scene and approached the female
passenger after observing this and stopped her when she tried to
re-enter the sterile area after trying to come back through after
spilling the fluids on the floor.  The female passenger flashed her
badge and credentials and told the MWAA officer 'Do you know who I am?'
 An argument then ensued between the officer and the passenger of
whether the spilling of the fluid was intentional or accidental.
Officer [REDACTED] asked the passenger to clean up the spill and she did."

Watch the second video.  TSO [REDACTED] is partially blocking the scene,
but at 2:01:00 PM it's pretty clear that Monica Emmerson -- that's the
female passenger -- spills the liquid on the floor on purpose, as a
deliberate act of defiance.  What happens next is more complicated; you
can watch it for yourself, or you can read BoingBoing's somewhat
sarcastic summary.

In this instance, the TSA is clearly in the right.

But there's a larger lesson here.  Remember the Princeton professor who
was put on the watch list for criticizing Bush?  That was also untrue.
Why is it that we all -- myself included -- believe these stories?  Why
are we so quick to assume that the TSA is a bunch of jack-booted thugs,
officious and arbitrary and drunk with power?

It's because everything seems so arbitrary, because there's no
accountability or transparency in the DHS.  Rules and regulations change
all the time, without any explanation or justification.  Of course this
kind of thing induces paranoia.  It's the sort of thing you read about
in history books about East Germany and other police states.  It's not
what we expect out of 21st century America.

The problem is larger than the TSA, but the TSA is the part of "homeland
security" that the public comes into contact with most often -- at least
the part of the public that writes about these things most.  They're the
public face of the problem, so of course they're going to get the lion's
share of the finger pointing.

It was smart public relations on the TSA's part to get the video of the
incident on the Internet quickly, but it would be even smarter for the
government to restore basic constitutional liberties to our nation's
counterterrorism policy.  Accountability and transparency are basic
building blocks of any democracy; and the more we lose sight of them,
the more we lose our way as a nation.

The story:
http://www.nowpublic.com/nightmare_at_reagan_national_airport_a_security_story_to_end_all_security_stories
or http://tinyurl.com/2vgvcm
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/06/14/tsa_detains_woman_ov.html

The TSA's rebuttal:
http://www.tsa.gov/approach/mythbusters/dca_incident.shtm
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/06/15/tsa_denies_sippy_cup.html

Princeton professor:
http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Professor_who_criticized_Bush_added_to_0409.html
or http://tinyurl.com/yo7ljc
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/04/debunking_the_p.html

     News

Remote sensing of meth labs, another NSF grant:
http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward.do?AwardNumber=0712406

Ridiculous "age verification" for online movie trailers: "It seems like
'We want to protect children' really means, We want to give the
appearance that we've made an effort to protect children. If they really
wanted to protect children, they wouldn't use the honor system as the
sole safeguard standing between previews filled with sex and violence
and Internet-savvy kids who can, in a matter of seconds, beat the
impotent little system."
http://blogs.csoonline.com/dirty_trailers_cheap_tricks

Direct marketing meets wholesale surveillance: a $100K National Science
Foundation grant:
http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward.do?AwardNumber=0712287

In 1748, the painter William Hogarth was arrested as a spy for sketching
fortifications at Calais.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gate_of_Calais
Sound familiar, doesn't it?
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/07/security_risks_3.html
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/04/how_australian.html
http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157600359124224/

Fogshield: silly home security.
http://hardwareaisle.thisoldhouse.com/2007/06/lets_smoke_em_o.html
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/06/silly_home_secu.html

Someone claims to have hacked the Bloomsbury Publishing network, and has
posted what he says is the ending to the last Harry Potter book.  I
don't believe it, actually. Sure, it's possible -- probably even easy.
But the posting just doesn't read right to me.  And I would expect
someone who really got their hands on a copy of the manuscript to post
the choice bits of text, not just a plot summary. It's easier, and it's
more proof.
http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2007/Jun/0380.html

The French government wants to ban BlackBerry e-mail devices, because of
worries of eavesdropping by U.S. intelligence.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/dde45086-1e97-11dc-bc22-000b5df10621,_i_rssPage=61e21220-6714-11da-a650-0000779e2340.html
or http://tinyurl.com/yvka3p

Vulnerabilities in the DHS network:
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/06/dhs-security-ch.html

TSA uses Monte Carlo simulations to weigh airplane risks
http://www.gcn.com/print/26_13/44398-1.html
Good comments in the blog post:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/06/tsa_uses_monte.html

The Onion on terrorist cell apathy:
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/after_5_years_in_u_s_terrorist

"Cocktail condoms" are protective covers that go over your drink and
"protect" against someone trying to slip a Mickey Finn (or whatever
they're called these days).  I'm sure there are many ways to defeat this
security device if you're so inclined: a syringe, affixing a new cover
after you tamper with the drink, and so on.  And this is exactly the
sort of rare risk we're likely to overreact to.  But to me, the most
interesting aspect of this story is the agenda.  If these things become
common, it won't be because of security.  It will be because of advertising
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3302652&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

Does this cell phone stalking story seem real to anyone?
http://www.thenewstribune.com/front/topphoto/story/91460.html
http://consumerist.com/consumer/privacy/family-stalked-using-cellphone-snoopware-271435.php?autoplay=true
or http://tinyurl.com/2kklxb
There's something going on here, but I just don't believe it's entirely
cell phone hacking.  Something else is going on.

Really good "Washington Post" article on secrecy:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/08/AR2007060802496.html
or http://tinyurl.com/yv7bjd
Back in 2002 I wrote about the relationship between secrecy and security.
http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0205.html#1

Surveillance cameras that obscure faces, an interesting
privacy-enhancing technology.
http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/18617/

At the beach, sand is more deadly than sharks.  And this is important
enough to become someone's crusade?
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3299749

Essay: "The only thing we have to fear is the 'culture of fear' itself,"
by Frank Furedi.
http://www.frankfuredi.com/pdf/fearessay-20070404.pdf

Making invisible ink printer cartridges: a covert channel.
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/clips/how-to-make-glow+in+the+dark-printer-ink-269828.php
or http://tinyurl.com/yoszvc

Bioterrorism detection systems and false alarms:
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:sfmQXOplWaUJ:www.the-scientist.com/article/home/52963/+
or http://tinyurl.com/2tjmhy

Robotic guns:
http://defensenews.com/story.php?F=2803275&C=america

Airport security: Israel vs. the United States
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/06/17/TRGRJQF1DE1.DTL
or http://tinyurl.com/yqdt6f

Why an ATM PIN has four digits:

Security cartoon: it's always a trade-off:
http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2007/06/24

Look at the last line of this article, about an Ohio town considering
mandatory school uniforms in lower grades:  "For Edgewood, the primary
motivation for adopting uniforms would be to enhance school security,
York said."  What is he talking about?  Does he think that school
uniforms enhance security because it would be easier to spot
non-uniform-wearing non-students in the school building and on the
grounds?  (Of course, non-students with uniforms would have an easier
time sneaking in.)  Or something else?  Or is security just an excuse
for any random thing these days?
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070626/NEWS01/306260034/1056/COL02
or http://tinyurl.com/2yr2z8 or http://tinyurl.com/253j8l

Good commentaries on the UK terrorist plots:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/29/more_fear_biscuits_please/
http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/its-hard-to-prevent-the-hard-to-imagine/2007/07/02/1183351119482.html
or http://tinyurl.com/2dvcyv
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/02/terror_idiocy_outbreak/
http://www.slate.com/id/2169614/nav/tap1/
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Front_Page/IG03Aa01.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/04/ec_frattini_web_terror_dunce_cap/
or http://tinyurl.com/35ebmj

In former East Germany, the Stazi kept samples of people's smells.
http://www.kirchersociety.org/blog/2007/04/05/smell-jars-of-the-stasi/

The Millwall brick: an improvised weapon made out of newspaper, favored
by football (i.e., soccer) hooligans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwall_brick

When coins are worth more as metal than as coins.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6766563.stm

This guy has a bottle taken away from him, then he picks it out of the
trash and takes it on the plane anyway.  I'm not sure whether this is
more gutsy or stupid.  If he had been caught, the TSA would have made
his day pretty damn miserable.  I'm not even sure bragging about it
online is a good idea.  Too many idiots in the FBI.
http://www.zug.com/gab/index.cgi?func=view_thread&head=1&thread_id=74827
or http://tinyurl.com/yuk2ky

I've written about this Greek wiretapping scandal before.  A system to
allow the police to eavesdrop on conversations was abused (surprise,
surprise).  There's a really good technical analysis in IEEE Spectrum
this month.
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/print/5280
Commentaries:
http://www.crypto.com/blog/hellenic_eavesdropping/
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/blog/2007-07/2007-07-06.html
http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/bits/212

Police don't overreact to strange object.  What's sad is that it feels
like an exception.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/071007dnmetrobot.5bd61405.html
or http://tinyurl.com/yrys8p

I'm sure glad the Australian Federal Police have their priorities
straight: "Technology such as cloned part-robot humans used by organised
crime gangs pose the greatest future challenge to police, along with
online scamming, Australian Federal Police (AFP) Commissioner Mick
Keelty says."
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/top-cop-predicts-robot-crimewave/2007/07/06/1183351416078.html
or http://tinyurl.com/27y45n

Dan Solove comments on the recent ACLU vs. NSA decision regarding the
NSA's illegal wiretapping activities.
http://www.concurringopinions.com/archives/2007/07/aclu_v_nsa.html
http://www.concurringopinions.com/archives/2007/07/aclu_v_nsa_and.html

Dan Solove on privacy and the "nothing to hide" argument:
http://ssrn.com/abstract=998565

Funny airport-security photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9831094@N02/755509753/

     Ubiquity of Communication

In an essay by Randy Farmer, a pioneer of virtual online worlds, he
describes communication in something called Disney's ToonTown.
Designers of online worlds for children wanted to severely restrict the
communication that users could have with each other, lest somebody say
something that's inappropriate for children to hear.

Randy discusses various approaches to this problem that were tried over
the years.  The ToonTown solution was to restrict users to something
called "Speedchat," a menu of pre-constructed sentences, all innocuous.
 They also gave users the ability to conduct unrestricted conversations
with each other, provided they both knew a secret code string.  The
designers presumed the code strings would be passed only to people a
user knew in real life, perhaps on a school playground or among neighbors.

Users found ways to pass code strings to strangers anyway.  Users
invented several protocols, using gestures, canned sentences, or
movement of objects in the game.

Randy writes:  "By hook, or by crook, customers will always find a way
to connect with each other."

http://www.fudco.com/habitat/archives/000058.html
http://www.disneyonlineworlds.com/index.php/Becoming_Secret_Friends_with_someone_you_don%27t_know
or http://tinyurl.com/2gkdlx

     4th Amendment Rights Extended to E-Mail

This is a great piece of news in the U.S. For the first time, e-mail has
been granted the same constitutional protections as telephone calls and
personal papers: the police need a warrant to get at it.  Now it's only
a circuit court decision -- the Sixth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in
Ohio -- it's pretty narrowly defined based on the attributes of the
e-mail system, and it has a good chance of being overturned by the
Supreme Court...but it's still great news.

The way to think of the warrant system is as a security device.  The
police still have the ability to get access to e-mail in order to
investigate a crime.  But in order to prevent abuse, they have to
convince a neutral third party -- a judge -- that accessing someone's
e-mail is necessary to investigate that crime.  That judge, at least in
theory, protects our interests.

Clearly e-mail deserves the same protection as our other personal
papers, but -- like phone calls -- it might take the courts decades to
figure that out.  But we'll get there eventually.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/06/appeals_court_s.html
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070619-appeals-court-feds-cant-seize-secretly-seize-e-mail-without-a-warrant.html
or http://tinyurl.com/26maek
http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1170
http://www.volokh.com/archives/archive_2007_06_17-2007_06_23.shtml#1182208168
or http://tinyurl.com/yqb4uz
http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions.pdf/07a0225p-06.pdf

     Credit Card Gas Limits

Here's an interesting phenomenon: rising gas costs have pushed up a lot
of legitimate transactions to the "anti-fraud" ceiling.

Security is a trade-off, and now the ceiling is annoying more and more
legitimate gas purchasers.  But to me the real question is: does this
ceiling have any actual security purpose?

In general, credit card fraudsters like making gas purchases because the
system is automated: no signature is required, and there's no need to
interact with any other person.  In fact, buying gas is the most common
way a fraudster tests that a recently stolen card is valid.  The
anti-fraud ceiling doesn't actually prevent any of this, but limits the
amount of money at risk.

But so what?  How many perps are actually trying to get more gas than is
permitted?  Are credit-card-stealing miscreants also swiping cars with
enormous gas tanks, or merely filling up the passenger cars they
regularly drive?  I'd love to know how many times, prior to the run-up
in gas prices, a triggered cutoff actually coincided with a subsequent
report of a stolen card.  And what's the effect of a ceiling, apart from
a gas shut-off?  Surely the smart criminals know about smurfing, if they
need more gas than the ceiling will allow.

The Visa spokesperson said, "We get more calls, questions, when gas
prices increase."  He/she didn't say: "We *make* more calls to see if
fraud is occurring."  So the only inquiries made may be in the cases
where fraud isn't occurring.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/06/15/financial/f110628D50.DTL
or http://tinyurl.com/ywfqdj

Smurfing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smurfing_%28crime%29

     Schneier/BT Counterpane News

Slate wrote an article on my movie-plot threat contest.
http://www.slate.com/id/2169232/

     Designing Voting Machines to Minimize Coercion

If someone wants to buy your vote, he'd like some proof that you've
delivered the goods.  Camera phones are one way for you to prove to your
buyer that you voted the way he wants.  Belgian voting machines have
been designed to minimize that risk.

"Once you have confirmed your vote, the next screen doesn't display how
you voted. So if one is coerced and has to deliver proof, one just has
to take a picture of the vote one was coerced into, and then back out
from the screen and change ones vote. The only workaround I see is for
the coercer to demand a video of the complete voting process, instead of
a picture of the ballot."

The author is wrong that this is an advantage electronic ballots have
over paper ballots.  Paper voting systems can be designed with the same
security features.

http://didierstevens.wordpress.com/2007/06/11/some-e-voting-observations/
or http://tinyurl.com/24k5l6

     Risks of Data Reuse

We learned the news in March: Contrary to decades of denials, the U.S.
Census Bureau used individual records to round up Japanese-Americans
during World War II.

The Census Bureau normally is prohibited by law from revealing data that
could be linked to specific individuals; the law exists to encourage
people to answer census questions accurately and without fear. And while
the Second War Powers Act of 1942 temporarily suspended that protection
in order to locate Japanese-Americans, the Census Bureau had maintained
that it only provided general information about neighborhoods.

New research proves they were lying.

The whole incident serves as a poignant illustration of one of the
thorniest problems of the information age: data collected for one
purpose and then used for another, or "data reuse."

When we think about our personal data, what bothers us most is generally
not the initial collection and use, but the secondary uses. I personally
appreciate it when Amazon.com suggests books that might interest me,
based on books I have already bought. I like it that my airline knows
what type of seat and meal I prefer, and my hotel chain keeps records of
my room preferences. I don't mind that my automatic road-toll collection
tag is tied to my credit card, and that I get billed automatically. I
even like the detailed summary of my purchases that my credit card
company sends me at the end of every year. What I don't want, though, is
any of these companies selling that data to brokers, or for law
enforcement to be allowed to paw through those records without a warrant.

There are two bothersome issues about data reuse. First, we lose control
of our data. In all of the examples above, there is an implied agreement
between the data collector and me: It gets the data in order to provide
me with some sort of service. Once the data collector sells it to a
broker, though, it's out of my hands. It might show up on some
telemarketer's screen, or in a detailed report to a potential employer,
or as part of a data-mining system to evaluate my personal terrorism
risk. It becomes part of my data shadow, which always follows me around
but I can never see.

This, of course, affects our willingness to give up personal data in the
first place. The reason U.S. census data was declared off-limits for
other uses was to placate Americans' fears and assure them that they
could answer questions truthfully. How accurate would you be in filling
out your census forms if you knew the FBI would be mining the data,
looking for terrorists? How would it affect your supermarket purchases
if you knew people were examining them and making judgments about your
lifestyle? I know many people who engage in data poisoning: deliberately
lying on forms in order to propagate erroneous data. I'm sure many of
them would stop that practice if they could be sure that the data was
only used for the purpose for which it was collected.

The second issue about data reuse is error rates. All data has errors,
and different uses can tolerate different amounts of error. The sorts of
marketing databases you can buy on the web, for example, are notoriously
error-filled. That's OK; if the database of ultra-affluent Americans of
a particular ethnicity you just bought has a 10 percent error rate, you
can factor that cost into your marketing campaign. But that same
database, with that same error rate, might be useless for law
enforcement purposes.

Understanding error rates and how they propagate is vital when
evaluating any system that reuses data, especially for law enforcement
purposes. A few years ago, the Transportation Security Administration's
follow-on watch list system, Secure Flight, was going to use commercial
data to give people a terrorism risk score and determine how much they
were going to be questioned or searched at the airport. People rightly
rebelled against the thought of being judged in secret, but there was
much less discussion about whether the commercial data from credit
bureaus was accurate enough for this application.

An even more egregious example of error-rate problems occurred in 2000,
when the Florida Division of Elections contracted with Database
Technologies (since merged with ChoicePoint) to remove convicted felons
from the voting rolls. The databases used were filled with errors and
the matching procedures were sloppy, which resulted in thousands of
disenfranchised voters -- mostly black -- and almost certainly changed a
presidential election result.

Of course, there are beneficial uses of secondary data. Take, for
example, personal medical data. It's personal and intimate, yet valuable
to society in aggregate. Think of what we could do with a database of
everyone's health information: massive studies examining the long-term
effects of different drugs and treatment options, different
environmental factors, different lifestyle choices. There's an enormous
amount of important research potential hidden in that data, and it's
worth figuring out how to get at it without compromising individual privacy.

This is largely a matter of legislation. Technology alone can never
protect our rights. There are just too many reasons not to trust it, and
too many ways to subvert it. Data privacy ultimately stems from our
laws, and strong legal protections are fundamental to protecting our
information against abuse. But at the same time, technology is still vital.

Both the Japanese internment and the Florida voting-roll purge
demonstrate that laws can change -- and sometimes change quickly. We
need to build systems with privacy-enhancing technologies that limit
data collection wherever possible. Data that is never collected cannot
be reused. Data that is collected anonymously, or deleted immediately
after it is used, is much harder to reuse. It's easy to build systems
that collect data on everything -- it's what computers naturally do --
but it's far better to take the time to understand what data is needed
and why, and only collect that.

History will record what we, here in the early decades of the
information age, did to foster freedom, liberty and democracy. Did we
build information technologies that protected people's freedoms even
during times when society tried to subvert them? Or did we build
technologies that could easily be modified to watch and control? It's
bad civic hygiene to build an infrastructure that can be used to
facilitate a police state.

Individual data and the Japanese internment:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=A4F4DED6-E7F2-99DF-32E46B0AC1FDE0FE&sc=I100322
or http://tinyurl.com/33kcy3
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-30-census-role_N.htm
http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2007/04/05/census-bureau-gave-up-wwii-internment-camp-evaders/
or http://tinyurl.com/2haky8
http://rawstory.com/news/afp/Census_identified_Japanese_American_03302007.html
or http://tinyurl.com/2ctnl3

Marketing databases:
http://www.wholesalelists.net
http://www.usdatacorporation.com/pages/specialtylists.html

Secure Flight:
http://www.epic.org/privacy/airtravel/secureflight.html

Florida disenfranchisement in 2000:
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20010430/lantigua

This article originally appeared on Wired.com:
http://www.wired.com/politics/onlinerights/commentary/securitymatters/2007/06/securitymatters_0628
or http://tinyurl.com/34mr2g

     Comments from Readers

There are hundreds of comments -- many of them interesting -- on these
topics on my blog. Search for the story you want to comment on, and join
in.

http://www.schneier.com/blog

CRYPTO-GRAM is a free monthly newsletter providing summaries, analyses,
insights, and commentaries on security: computer and otherwise.  You can
subscribe, unsubscribe, or change your address on the Web at
<http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram.html>.  Back issues are also
available at that URL.

Please feel free to forward CRYPTO-GRAM, in whole or in part, to
colleagues and friends who will find it valuable.  Permission is also
granted to reprint CRYPTO-GRAM, as long as it is reprinted in its entirety.

CRYPTO-GRAM is written by Bruce Schneier.  Schneier is the author of the
best sellers "Beyond Fear," "Secrets and Lies," and "Applied
Cryptography," and an inventor of the Blowfish and Twofish algorithms.
He is founder and CTO of BT Counterpane, and is a member of the Board of
Directors of the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC).  He is a
frequent writer and lecturer on security topics.  See
<http://www.schneier.com>.

BT Counterpane is the world's leading protector of networked information
- the inventor of outsourced security monitoring and the foremost
authority on effective mitigation of emerging IT threats.  BT
Counterpane protects networks for Fortune 1000 companies and governments
world-wide.  See <http://www.counterpane.com>.

Crypto-Gram is a personal newsletter.  Opinions expressed are not
necessarily those of BT or BT Counterpane.

Copyright (c) 2007 by Bruce Schneier.

----- End forwarded message -----