face recognition flop

Christian Kuhtz christian at kuhtz.com
Wed Jul 11 02:32:40 PDT 2007

Dave,

for IP if you wish..

---

Apparently the BKA (German equivalent of the FBI) tested face
recognition, spent 200K euros to test the system in a rail terminal
in the city of Mainz and basically declared it worthless in terms of
being an investigative tool.  Apparently (per the article) this is
the first public trial under normal, every day conditions (rather
than having the conditions manipulated for a good showing) and only
matched 30%.  Even when the lighting was modified to be ideal, it
only reached 60%. The BKA considers the system only useful if the
success rate is very near 100%.

The sample size was approximately 23,000 travelers per day over a
period of roughly 3 months.  The targets were 200 commuters who had
volunteered for the trial and travel through this rail terminal at
least once per day.

BKA recommended that this is not a suitable system for surveillance
and facial recognition to try to match suspects in a manhunt etc.

Article is in German, try your favorite mechanized translator.  If
there's enough demand, I happen to be bilingual and may be convinced
into doing a translation in my spare time. ;-)

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/justiz/0,1518,493911,00.html