[IP] Can cryptography prevent printer-ink piracy?

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Sun Jul 8 02:06:02 PDT 2007

As is the case with several manufacturers today: Samsung is a great
example.  I *love* their printers - fast, cheap, reliable, etc...  I could
go on and on, but for one dealbreaker: crypto matched cartridges.  We have
migrated away from Samsung (and that includes the brand new $15,000USD
printer that *could* have been a Samsung) because of this very issue.
IIRC, HP is doing to, although this isn't first hand so YMMV.

--
Yours,
J.A. Terranson

"The real point is that you cannot harbor malice toward others and then
cry foul when someone displays intolerance against you. Prejudice
tolerated is intolerance encouraged. Rise up in righteousness when you
witness the words and deeds of hate, but only if you are willing to rise
up against them all, including your own. Otherwise suffer the slings and
arrows of disrespect silently."

Harvey Fierstein is an actor and playwright.