[IP] New US/EU passenger name records treaty leaked

James Cox james at imaj.es
Wed Jul 4 02:46:12 PDT 2007

Dave,

Some thoughts on this from a UK/EU citizen perspective:

So, there are 36 data points being collected (as opposed to the 19
bandied about). This is bad but it gets worse - All data (including
topics such as personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin,
political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union
membership, and data concerning the health or sex life of the
individual) is to be transmitted, with the DHS systems filtering this
out. But not really, because it's still accessible in cases of peril
to the individual.

Oh, and the data is kept *active* for 7 years, for analytical
purposes (how many times have you been in the US in the past 7 years?
Did you like the hotel .... ) further, the data is kept in a
*dormant* state for 8 years. Except that the actual manner of
deleting the PNR data is yet to be discussed, so it may not actually
happen. Plus, in the next 15 years, there will be at least two
different presidents, multiple Secretaries of Defence, Homeland
Security and State, a possibly entirely different kind of EU.

As a country we've restricted the suspension of Habeas Corpus to only
28 days. We have the D. P. A. for managing and restricting access to
such personal data. But it's OK if you travel to the US - expect
fingerprints, iris scans, and your family history to be stored on
accessible and semi accessible databases for 15 years.

Our liberties and rights get eroded, just a little bit, every day.
Soon we'll be lucky to have a name rather than just an identity.

James

--

James Cox,
Internet Consultant