[Politech] Computers, Freedom and Privacy 2007: Call for proposals for May 1-4 conference [priv]

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Jan 24 01:14:43 PST 2007

[Disclaimer: I have the pleasure of being on the CFP program committee
this year. Proposals for panels, etc. are due January 31, 2007 (I'm
hoping to see some good ones on data retention). Hope to see many of you
in Montreal in May. --Declan]

http://www.cfp2007.org/live/proposals.html

The Program Committee of the Seventeenth Conference on Computers,
Freedom, and Privacy (CFP2007) seeks your proposals for innovative
conference sessions and speakers.

The Computers, Freedom & Privacy Conference has been a leading venue for
public debate on the future of computing, privacy and freedom in the
online world for the past 16 years. Each year, key representatives from
government, business, education, and non-profits, including the legal,
law enforcement, security, media, consumer, and hacker communities, have
gathered together to discuss new technologies, anticipate policy trends
and issues and to help map the future of society. Attendees will meet
next May 1-4 in Montreal, Canada, to address cutting edge questions and
issues in computing, freedom and privacy.

This is only the second time that this conference has met in Canada, and
it is fitting that the theme this year is Autonomy in the 21st century.
 When the Internet was young, and this conference started out in San
Francisco where the watchword of a new generation was bthe Internet
wants to be freeb, hackers, social activists, scientists and government
officials faced off over issues like free speech, censorship,
pornography and cryptography controls.  Now we live in a world where
expectations of privacy and security appear to have plummeted in some
parts of our society, and in some parts of the Internet sub-culture.
Autonomy of the individual is threatened by control of personal
information and by the shift of control of computing from the owner and
user to the manufacturer and software developers.  New digital rights
management schemes appear, constantly eroding the rights and autonomy of
the purchaser of content.  Autonomy of groups is threatened by
increasing surveillance of all society, but especially the vulnerable.
Autonomy of countries and democracies is threatened by international
agencies which set standards and are less accountable to democratic
governments and the citizens, on issues from aviation control to
cybercrime and product safety.

Who is making the real decisions?
What oversight is there?
How can the average individual stay empowered in this digital age?
How can transparency, open government, and democracy itself survive in
the fearful global environment that we live in?

Proposals are welcomed on all aspects of computers, freedom, and
privacy. We strongly encourage proposals that explore some of the most
important issues affecting autonomy of the individual, of groups, and of
countries.  We are looking at issues facing the Internet and freedom,
including: global activism; technology and monopoly; individuals and
ubiquitous computing; technology and weapons; ICANN and Internet
governance; borders and censorship; the digital divide and the
disenfranchisement of vulnerable populations; biometric systems;
consumer privacy; wireless privacy and security; hacktivism;
intellectual property and intellectual freedom; digital rights
management and privacy; public records and private lives.

We are seeking proposals for tutorials, plenary sessions, workshops,
technical demonstrations, parallel sessions and birds-of-a-feather
sessions. We are also seeking suggestions for speakers and topics. The
conference runs from Tuesday, May 1, to Friday, May 4, and permits a
range of format and time slots, which the program committee will juggle
once we have your input.  Panel sessions should present a wide range of
thinking on a topic by including speakers from different viewpoints.
Complete submission instructions appear on the CFP2007 web site at
http://www.cfp2007.org/submissions/.

All submissions must be received by January 20, 2007. Proposals will be
reviewed by the CFP2007 Program Committee. The Program Committee will
notify submitters of the status of proposals no later than February 10th.

Submission Guidelines

General:
All submissions must be made using the CFP2007 electronic submission
system. After filling out your contact information and other basic
information, you may e-mail the body (in plain text) of your submission
to us if you prefer at submissions at cfp2007.org. You will receive
instructions about where to mail the body of your submission after you
fill out the basic information on the submission form.

Submitters' contact information will be used only to contact them about
their submissions and to send them information about the CFP conference.

Session, tutorial, and workshop submissions must be received by November
30, 2006.  BOF submissions may be right up to the date of the
conference, but rooms will be available on a first-come, first-serve
basis.  We encourage late interventions that deal with breaking stories
and events, and will try to accommodate them on the program

If you have an idea for a session or other activity but do not have a
complete session proposal, please use the "topic or activity" suggestion
form. If you would like to nominate a speaker, please use the "speaker"
suggestion form. The Program Committee will give preference to complete
session proposals, but will also consider these suggestions as well. We
are particularly interested in suggestions for keynote speakers.

When providing information about proposed presenters, please do not
submit each presenter's entire resume! Just provide a few relevant details.

The Program Committee may accept parts of submissions without accepting
the entire submission. For example, the Program Committee might combine
multiple proposals, take a session topic but fill it in with different
speakers, or take a proposal submitted as a plenary session and turn it
into a workshop.

CFP generally does not provide speaker honoraria. We will waive the
conference registration fees for speakers from academic, non-profit, and
government institutions (except for BOFs). In addition, travel funding
may be available for some speakers on a case-by-case basis.

Plenary/Panel sessions:
Plenary sessions are sessions held in the main ballroom, which are
attended by all the conference participants (about 500 people). They may
take the form of a panel discussion or debate, but we encourage other
formats, including talk shows, games, moot courts, role plays, and other
creative ideas. Plenary sessions are 1 to 2 hours, and should include at
least 20 minutes for audience questions and discussion. When they take
the form of a panel discussion, we recommend that the panel include no
more than 3 to 5 participants (including a moderator).

Plenary sessions should be organized by the submitter (with help from
the Program Committee). The submitter may be one of the presenters, but
that is not required. We prefer submissions in which all the proposed
presenters have been confirmed by the submitter. However, we will also
consider submissions in which not all the speakers are confirmed,
especially if you list alternative speakers in case your top choices are
not available. You might also list a type of person rather than name
specific people (for example, an academic intellectual property lawyer,
or a musician who distributes music on the Internet for free). However,
it is helpful if you can list some possible names, so that the Program
Committee has some confidence that you will be able to find the kind of
people you describe.

Plenary and panel sessions are identical except that that panel sessions
will run concurrently whereas plenary sessions will be for the entire
conference.

[Example Plenary/Panel session submission]

If you have an idea for a plenary session but are not proposing to
organize it, please submit it as a "topic or activity suggestion."

See CFP 2006, Federal Privacy Legislation
11:15-12:30 (plenary session) and Concurrent Panel Sessions 1:00-2:00.

http://www.cfp2006.org/progwed.html

Tutorials:
We are particularly interested in half-day tutorials (3 hours, including
break) that provide a crash course in a topic of interest to CFP
audiences. For example, tutorials on cyberspace law for non-lawyers and
encryption for non-technical people have been popular in the past. We
will also consider 1-1/2 hour tutorials and full-day tutorials.

Tutorials may be presented by a single presenter or a team of
presenters. Tutorials should be submitted by one of the proposed
presenters. If you have an idea for a tutorial but are not proposing to
present it, please submit it as a "topic or activity suggestion."

submissions closed

Workshops:
Workshops sessions are sessions held in parallel, with 30 to 200
conference attendees expected to attend each session. Workshop
submissions may include similar content to plenary sessions; however, we
are particularly interested in workshop submissions that take advantage
of having a smaller audience and promote audience interaction. In
addition to the formats suggested for plenary sessions, workshops might
take the form of a town hall meeting or a single speaker and audience
discussion. Workshops might also be proposed in which the participants
are broken up into small groups for brainstorming or discussion and then
the groups are brought back together.

Workshops should be organized by the submitter (with help from the
Program Committee). The submitter may be one of the presenters, but that
is not required. We prefer submissions in which all the proposed
presenters have been confirmed by the submitter. However, we will also
consider submissions in which not all the speakers are confirmed,
especially if you list alternative speakers in case your top choices are
not available. You might also list a type of person rather than name
specific people (for example, an academic intellectual property lawyer,
or a musician who distributes music on the Internet for free). However,
it is helpful if you can list some possible names, so that the program
committee has some confidence that you will be able to find the kind of
people you describe.

If you have an idea for a workshop but are not proposing to organize it,
please submit it as a "topic or activity suggestion."

[Example workshop session submission]

Birds-of-a-Feather Sessions
BOFs are informal evening sessions, usually attended by anywhere from 10
to 50 conference participants. They may include presentations, group
discussions, open meetings of organizations, or informal opportunities
for people with a common interest to meet each other. BOF submitters
should be prepared to organize the BOF that they submit.
[Example BOF submission]

See CFP 2004, BOFs Thursday April 22, 10-12 pm"
http://cfp2004.org/program/

Hyde Park Corner Soapbox
Over the years, CFP has been noted for long queues at the question
microphones, and often questioners have indulged in ranting themselves,
rather than asking questions.  We have decided to give this activity a
home this year, by instituting the CFP Hyde Park Corner Microphone.  If
you have something that has to be said, book your time on the soapbox
now, to avoid disappointment.  The mike will be open at breakfast,
breaks and lunchtime.  hydepark at cfp2007.org

If you have further questions about submissions, please e-mail
submissions at cfp2007.org

###