Block directory authorities, is it possible?

Kevin Smith kevin.in.china at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 03:41:57 PST 2007

Why hasn't Tor been blocked in China already? Torpark is redirecting
to the Google homepage (1). The psiphon homepage has been blocked. The
Freegate homepage is blocked. Why not Tor?

Could it be that Tor is being used to help identify suspected
dissidents? Consider the following:

I'm sitting at my home in Beijing using Tor. The Chinese internet
police see my computer periodically connecting to a Tor directory
server or entry node. They know I am using Tor. Ok. Here's someone
using Tor. Who is he? Well, his IP address is linked to Beihang
University. A quick check with the Beihang University IT department
reveals that he is Kevin Smith in building AB apartment XYZ, his
passport number is 123456789, he teaches English and has no record of
political activity aside from voting in those despicable American
national elections. Not too likely that he is a dissident.

Wang Guolu is sitting at home using Tor. The Chinese internet police
see his computer periodically connecting to a Tor directory server or
entry node. They know he is using Tor. Ok. Here's someone using Tor.
Who is he? Well, his IP address is linked to China Netcom in Dalian. A
quick check with Dalian China Netcom reveals that he is Wang Guolu who
lives in building CD apartment UVW on Renmin Lu. His ID number is
987654321, he has a low paying job at a local factory and is suspected
of being a member of the FLG. A relatively low paid factory worker
using advanced internet anonymizing software? That just screams
dissident.

The above situation has been suggested before on the mailing list:
http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Aug-2006/msg00089.html
http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Aug-2006/msg00091.html

(1) http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Dec-2006/msg00076.html

Kevin S.