wars of attrition & reverse rubber hose & the ineffectiveness of direct lethal violence against the state

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Tue Jan 2 00:27:07 PST 2007

Yeah, I am, as usual, really late to the party...

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Mike Owen wrote:

> On 3/9/06, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > most annoying and obscure data storage format as a feature; that's a
> > disturbing thought...
> > [would it be punch cards or bernoulli disks?]
> >

> Unless you can find an old 5MB Bernoulli, stick with punch cards. The
> larger format versions are too easy to get.

Punch cards suffer from the defect of being visually readable.  5mb
Bernoulli are readily available, however, 3" (NOT 3.5") floppy is
*extremely* rare (I have two drives, and they are *so* obscure that I
offer sizeable ($500.00) for anyone who can find a way to read the ones I
bring for demonstrations :-)

For that legitimate 'What I'm Doing *Isn't* "Museum Theft" kind of
attitude. '

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org
0xBD4A95BF

"In the age-old contest between popularity and principle, only those
willing to lose for their convictions are deserving of posterity's
approval."

Gerald Ford