New digital bearer cash site launched (was Re: money mixes)

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Wed Feb 21 14:14:56 PST 2007

At 01:43 PM 2/21/2007, R.A. Hettinga wrote:
>I still hold out hope for digital bearer transactions being cheaper than
>book entries, particularly as transaction settlement times trend towards
>zero, but gaming the system old-school, with book-entry shells, and mixes,
>and hops, or whatever, only works for so long, anymore.

[I submitted this for posting on the Cryptography list,
cryptography at metzdowd.com, but it has not yet appeared]

With the expiration of Chaum's key patents it was assumed that someone
would step up an try their hand at launching a DBC-based financial
service.  Some time has passed and I'm happy to announce that this has
finally happened.  Taking a cue from the lively Digital Gold Currencies,
eCache's first denomination if gold backed.  Unlike Digicash's instruments,
eCache is using a mixing technique, rather than blinding, to help preserve
unlinkability.  Its mint is located on a hidden server in TOR-land.  More
information at: https://ffij33ewbnoeqnup.onion.meshmx.com/doc.php

Comments are invited about the technology and governance aspects that such
financial services invoke.

Steve

PS: and Hettinga can comment about why their fees are too high :)