Confirming Random numbers?

Sarad AV jtrjtrjtr2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 03:48:37 PST 2007

Hi,

--- Tyler Durden <camera_lumina at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to verify that a remote random number
> generator is actually
> random?

Are you asking if the remote random number is
authentic? That would make it similar to a key
exchange over an insecure channel and asking: are the
keys exchanged authentic & untampered?
   In classical cryptography, there is no way of doing
a secure key exchange without a pre-shared secret.

> Actually, this may not be impossible, particularly
> with TOR, but rather
> than take a stab in the dark I'm interested in
> seeing what's already known
> about this.

 Tor uses onion routing but eventually you will need a
pre-shared secret with the PRNG server, to ensure that
the number you receive is authentic.

Sarad.