[Politech] Sen. McCain proposes surveillance of illegal images (including cartoons) [fs]

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Fri Feb 9 01:09:54 PST 2007

Sens. McCain and Schumer have introduced the Securing Adolescents From
Exploitation-Online Act of 2007, which I've summarized here:
http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6156976.html

A draft is here (the final version isn't on Thomas yet):
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/mccain.schumer.child.porn.safe.act.020607.pdf

Here's an excerpt from the press release:
http://mccain.senate.gov/press_office/view_article.cfm?ID=853

"With all of the horrifying instances of children being exploited by
online predators, its stomach-churning that no law is on the books to
require Internet Service Providers to report instances of child
pornography on their services," Schumer said. "In a nutshell, this
legislation provides a common-sense tool to the growing problem of
Internet child pornography. While we canbt see everything that happens
on the Internet, we can work hard to build the next best thing b a
system to report the illegal activity that is discovered. Many of us
have worked for years to protect children b this bill takes our efforts
to the 21st Century."

An earlier version of the bill from December:
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/mccain.child.sex.offender.120806.pdf

And, in somewhat related news, House committee chairmen announced four
privacy-related bills today:
http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6157826.html

I've placed them here:
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/house.dingell.barton.pretexting.bill.020807.p
df
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/house.markey.barton.ssn.bill.020807.pdf
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/house.rush.stearns.data.breach.bill.020807.pd
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/house.towns.bono.spyware.bill.020807.pdf

And here's another anti-pretexting bill from Reps. Inslee and Blackburn:
http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6157383.html

Two more data breach bills, from Sens. Leahy and Specter, and Rep. Lamar
Smith:
http://news.com.com/2100-7348_3-6156904.html

The Smith bill is here:
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/smith.data.protection.notification.draft.0206