Toolkit for detecting ISP modifications to web pages

Charles Reis creis at cs.washington.edu
Mon Dec 10 05:37:17 PST 2007

Hi Dave--
 There has recently been some discussion on both this list and the
Net Neutrality Squad mailing list about ISPs modifying web traffic
(e.g., the recent messages about Rogers modifying Google's home
page).  Related to this, I wanted to point you to a toolkit that a
server could use to detect whether its pages are being modified in
flight.  The toolkit is available at the URL below:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/security/web-tripwire.html

 The toolkit allows publishers to deploy "web tripwires" on their own
web pages.  Web tripwires are JavaScript code that can detect when a
web page is modified in flight, so that the publisher is aware of the
event and can notify the end user if appropriate.

 The URL above also has a brief summary of a measurement study that
used a web tripwire to detect changes to a web page
(http://vancouver.cs.washington.edu ).  A message on your IP mailing list
back in July helped draw users  for the study.

 We'd be happy to get feedback on either the toolkit or the study
results.

Thanks!
Charlie Reis