toad.com In World's First 100 .com Domains

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 16:16:37 PST 2007

On Dec 8, 2007 1:53 PM, Tyler Durden <camera_lumina at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I myself worked at Bellcore some time after this, when things were still
> interesting and Bellcore was the 400lb Gorilla in all things optical.
> Bellcore (now Telcordia) has suffered under consistently unimaginative Bungee
> bosses, arguably the most intellectual property in one place incredibly
> squandered (I'd say far more than Xerox PARC).

the sheer amount of losses racked up as part of calculated risk /
business strategy is amazing to me.  i remember sprint getting mad
about the price they were paying for their OC12/48 MPLS/SONET/ATM/IP
switches.  they hired hundreds to begin work on a switch in house, and
sunk $200+ million to make it look like a believable effort.

in october the vendor relented on price, and hundreds of consultants
got the ax before thanksgiving, within days of the newly negotiated
pricing.  all of that code, design, effort tossed into the rubbish
bin, having served its purpose as calculated ruse.

activities like this and other canceled projects are plentiful in the industry.

so much code and engineering locked away into IP asset vaults, never
to be seen or used again...  jeezus.