toad.com In World's First 100 .com Domains

R.A.Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Tue Dec 4 06:50:05 PST 2007

cypherpunks,

Note toad.com, August 18 1987. :-)

I believe John Gilmore started cypherpunks at toad.com in September-ish
of 1992 or so, after Tim May and Eric Hughes hosted the first
physical cypherpunks meeting.

After using a buddy's password to the MIT/Sloan student Nexis account
to research on-line cash payment and reading about cypherpunks there
in an article by Kevin Kelly in the Whole Earth Quarterly, I
subscribed to cypherpunks at toad.com, and my first post was in May of
1994, or so. But, living in Boston, I never went to a physical
meeting, though I've met lots of cypherpunks face-to-face in many
other places since...

Seeing pyramid.com was a blast from the past. I first used Unix
seriously on a Pyramid machine in the first half of 1986 or so. It
had Gosling's (boo, hiss! Not Pure!) emacs on it, and, a flurry of
keystroke-recorded macro building and multiple telnet shell windows
later, I had practically automated my third-shift (real-live blue-
smock and glass-wall) Production Expeditor job at the University of
Chicago's Computation Center to about half an hour a night most
nights. On my way out the door to Boston, I did the last week more or
less remotely by dial-up. Lots of usenet news read, baseball-bat-
sized cigars burned, pizza for "breakfast", and self-taught cross-
harp harmonica playing (not necessarily in that order...:-)) in Mr.
Stallman's honor as a result of that discovery...

Obligatory Four Yorkshiremen thread to follow here, I'm sure. :-).

Cheers,
RAH
------

<http://
thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlonglast.com/
first71.html>

WORLD'S FIRST .COM

THE LONGEST LIST OF THE LONGEST STUFF AT THE LONGEST DOMAIN NAME AT
LONG LAST
What was the world's first .com?
Just what would the site with the world's longest domain name be
without mentioning what the world's first dot com was
Now were sure many of you think you know and some really do know, but
those that think it was think.com better think again, think.com was
the third...we think.
The DNS was created in 1984 and in 1985 top level domains were
defined. The first top level domains were COM, ORG, EDU, GOV, MIL and
ccTLD.
In April 1985 cmu.edu, purdue.edu, rice.edu and ucla.edu were the
first registered domain names.
The first .gov was css.gov and was registered in June 1985.
The first .org was mitre.org and was registered in July 1985.
Now for the first .com which was registered on March 15 1985 and it
was symbolics.com which still happens to be up and running, although
not much to look at.

Now for the first 100 registered domains:
SYMBOLICS.COM
March 15 1985
BBN.COM
April 24 1985