Preconfigured hidden service

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 1 04:20:13 PDT 2007

Don't know i this comment has been made this-go-round, but I have long
argued that support for the 'clueless' is actually well within the bounds of
Cypherpunk concern.

Of course, traditional Cypherpunk theology (a la Tim May) is that we
shouldn't worry about the clueless. If they can't set up a Tor Client then
fcuk 'em: If I'm not clueless then my communications can be made secure.

To this I'd offer the following argument, stated elsewhere but summarized
here. This argument actually does not contradict the traditional cypherpunk
dogma (if such can actually be said to exist), but acknowledges certain
realities:

1. Although the mathematical basis of the big encryption algorithms may be
sound (and it's been argued by the less-than-clueless that some healthy
doubt could be cast on this claim), practical implementations can be made
fully secure only through a vast amount of effort that encomapsses computer
hardware, firmware, software, and the encryption algorthims themselves, not
to mention brute-force attacks than include binoculars and tempest-like
surveillance. Thus, any one instantiation of a Platonically secure
encryption standard should be regarded as less-than-absolutely secure.

2. Although current implmentations may be less than completely secure, it
seems reasonable at this point (given media information) that it is still
possible to make a communication secure enough to eat up fairly expensive
resources. In other words, they may have the ability to crack just about any
single message, but it seems very doubtful that the abiliy exists to grab
and crack EVERYTHING. In other words, increasing PGP lengths may not ensure
security, but it most likely increases COSTS.

3. Assuming any single message is probably crackable, given enough time and
money, it behooves the clued to reduce a message's 'risk profile' as far as
possible. In other words, it becomes desirable to remove any easily
detectable signs that a message is encrypted or even interesting. This
reduces the likihood that it will be swept up and either stored (for
cracking later) or given high-priority status through TLA networks.

3. It would seem evident from the  above that, even for the clued, it
behooves them to accept the need to increase the volume of
as-secure-as-possible encrypted traffic, mindful of the fact that 'easy'
implementations may actually not be particularly secure, or not secure
enough for use by the sufficiently clued. However, as the volume and
encrypted strength of traffic increases, it becomes all the more difficult
for any one message to get flagged. (I would suggest that this is the real
problem that the TLAs are faced with in the information age: They can't keep
up with the traffic and must do more and more prioitization at the 'edges'
of their network, thus the whole AT&T fiasco.) Most likely, TLAs have to
manage to several bottlenecks, another key one being the last resort
cracking farms or messages that have resisted penetration through any other
means. The cost per message cracked here is probably quite high for very
secure mesages. Ideally, one would like as much possible traffic to qualify
for this, so as to force as much edge prioritization as possible.

4. Perhaps it is needless to say, but it is probably unfair to try to pin
usability on any one technology, such as Tor. However, as suggested below,
the value of Tor to all users increases with increased usability and
reasonably secure traffic. Thus, I would suggest that it is well within
May-sian Cypherpunk orthodoxy to encourage usability for the clueless (or
the simply busy), mindful of the limitations (and threat scenarios) that
such usabiliy might reasonably be constrained to.

-TD