Trusted Computing in Vista BitLocker

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Fri Sep 8 19:18:21 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 20:20 +0000, lcs Mixmaster Remailer wrote:
> Because BitLocker locks the disk key to the boot sequence, any dual-boot
> system that uses this capability will not be able to decrypt the encrypted
> data when the alternate OS is booted.  Users who want to share their
> PC data between Vista and Linux will not be able to use this advanced
> BitLocker capability.

Point of order here: are you referring to a full operating system when
you say "Linux" or just the kernel. If the former, it's GNU/Linux. If
the latter, you should specifically say "the Linux kernel".

Though, arguably, the proper substitution here could be:
s/Linux/any operating system besides Windows Vista or later/

We need a public education campaign here. Microsoft seems to embrace
security, as long as it's in their best (monopolistic) interests to do
so. That's a huge problem, unless and until ReactOS can come close
enough to Windows to fool treacherous computing.

--
Shawn K. Quinn