Fire at Fort Meade

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Mon Oct 23 17:29:51 PDT 2006

Fire strikes Army counter-espionage building
6-alarm blaze breaks out at Fort Meade, Md.
The Associated Press

Updated: 9:29 p.m. PT Oct 20, 2006

FORT MEADE, Md. - A fire at the Army base that houses the National Security
Agency heavily damaged a building containing sensitive materials Friday
afternoon, base officials said.

There were no serious injuries, officials at Fort Meade said.

The six-alarm fire at Fort Meade started shortly before 4 p.m. in a
building whose contents are sensitive in nature, said Fort Meade
spokeswoman Jennifer Downing.

The building contains the 902nd Military Intelligence Group Command, the
Armys largest counter-espionage unit, according to the groups Web site.

Lt. Col. James Peterson, director of emergency services at Fort Meade,
would not say what kind of work was going on inside Building 4554.

Strong winds hampered efforts to contain the blaze at the three-story brick
building, which was evacuated. Part of the roof collapsed onto a lower
floor before the fire was contained.

We dont really know the cause. We just know it started on the roof of the
structure, Peterson said.

Minor construction was under way in the area of the roof where the fire
started, Peterson said. There was no damage estimate.

The Army base, between Baltimore and Washington, has about 39,000 employees.
) 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be
published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.