Client host rejected: 85/8 banned for abuse

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Thu Oct 19 17:00:40 PDT 2006

At 12:16 PM 10/19/2006, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>Are you sure? 85/8, that's a lot of unreal estate.
>
>  <measl at mfn.org>: host mx1.mfn.org[204.238.179.8] said: 554
>      <v64.ativel.com[85.10.225.64]>: Client host rejected: 85/8 banned for
>abuse

The whole /8?  I'd certainly say it's a lot -
it's not even a single Class A owned by a carrier like AT&T or UUNet,
but has a number of different ISPs in different countries owning
chunks of it.  leitl.org has a /24 that's part of an ISP /18 in Germany,
and I saw some Swisstel in another /18 there.

That's the kind of global overkill I'd expect from an
irresponsible spam-blocker list like SPEWS,
and even for them that would be pretty excessive.