News article: U.S. Cryptographers: 'FrpX-K5jE-Oc4n-e5Dn'

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Mon Oct 16 10:29:09 PDT 2006

Recent Cryptography news from The Onion:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/53928&confirm=1

U.S. Cryptographers: 'FrpX-K5jE-Oc4n-e5Dn'

October 11, 2006 | Issue 4241

WASHINGTON, DC-In a carefully phrased, 128-bit encoded announcement that
has challenged U.S. security agency procedures, top officials of the
National Cryptography and Information Security Council warned that
"FrpX-K5jE-Oc4n-e5Dn" if "Ha4d-87gH-uiH3-gB5r-g8Bh" late Monday.

"It may be true, as these codemakers have stated here, that our nation
faces 'm7Hk-sJkd-jJk73-4osd-m6Kh,'" Department of Homeland Security head
Michael Chertoff told reporters in his plaintext response Tuesday. "But in
our defense, I would hardly call our situation 'K5jE-Oc4n.'"

The NCISC declined further comment, saying only that its remarks were meant
as constructive criticism, and the CIA, NSA, and FBI may have
misinterpreted the message.