NYT: A Cult of Backyard Rocketeers Keeps the Solid Fuel Burning

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Mon Oct 16 06:44:32 PDT 2006

In the late 90s on CPs I wrote a bit about my launchings in the desert
there and other locations near Edwards AFB.  In those days no FAA
permission was required but only coordination with Edwards, which tracked
our flights and told us the altitudes achieved and gave us a clue as to
whether the chute had deployed and where it had fallen.

We mostly used ZnS and later APCP.

Steve

Does anyone know which federal law prohibits any sort of guidance?  We did
experiment with guidance systems but this was in the days of detent RC,
before servos, and quite challenging.  Instead we used a mortar, powered by
the rocket's own exhaust, to aim them are reduce target dispersion.

Steve