Mixmaster?

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 11:43:03 PST 2006

On 11/29/06, rayservers <rayservers at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, and until the mixmaster nodes start to *charge* anonymous digital
> gold tokens for routing, and lets nodes gets into competition with each
> other to create a robotic free market, the Internet will be a baby eaten
> alive by Mighty Big Brother and mixmaster will be overrun by the tragedy
> of the commons...

bootstrapping is hard, particularly when you must include a robust
reputation metric.  "anonymous digital gold tokens" is really too
narrow, as what you seek is exactly a robust reputation / trust metric
tied to the economy of peer interaction.  digital cash is attractive
because the reputation it embodies is fungible, but other forms of
reputation are useful and may prove more effective in certain
contexts, particularly when your adversary is well funded (think
"creeping death attacks"). [0]

> Big Fat Hint: The above (pay for traffic nodes) will result in spam free
> untraceable email, robotic economically viable self extending wireless
> networks, Voip thats really secure and high quality, DDoS proof
> Internet, private p2p markets for commodities, stocks etc... etc. Now,
> if there are investors out there... speak up.

oh, if it were so simple!  payment alone is not sufficient, this
[dark|anonymous|private]net requires robust reputation and usability
too.  payment is part of that equation, but other incentives to
participate and contribute must be addressed.  remember mojonation /
mnet? [1]

> The alternative Internet provided "for free" is the biggest boon to big
> government, ever! (well, almost... after fiat money). "Capitalist"
> $$investors are about to be eaten alive by fiat money that is not theirs
> which they soon cannot move... The clampdown will be, heh, SWIFT (sic).

heheh, it's going to be a fun ride.  this also points to the
"incentive" for big government to crush with extreme prejudice any
such crypto-anarcho-capitalist digital economies.  a robust and
private economy of that sort would be popular, efficient, and a clear
threat to fiat money control.  decentralized, robust reputation
metrics capable of defending against such adversaries are difficult,
to put it mildly.

> I spoke about this at HOPE6, I don't know if more than a couple of
> people in the audience even got an inkling of what the hell I was
> talking about. If they did, and are busy producing code, more power to them.

i wish i could have been there; sounds like an interesting talk.
there is a lot more i'd like to discuss regarding digital bearer
settlement, blinded digital cash, reputation metrics, and incentives
for privacy preserving networks and services, but i'll have to save
that for later, as the incentive of continued employment has overcome
the incentive for enjoyable and enlightening conversation... ;)

0. "Reliable MIX Cascade Networks through Reputation"
  http://www.freehaven.net/doc/casc-rep/

1. "Mnet"
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnet