Mixmaster?

Ulex Europae europus at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 20:13:17 PST 2006

On 11/26/06, R.A. Hettinga <rah at shipwright.com> wrote:
> At 8:11 PM -0500 11/26/06, Ulex Europae (yeah, *right*...) wrote:

Oh goody, someone looked that up. I chose that nym carefully, of course it
isn't my real name. Why should you think it would be?

> >Our rights.
>
> :-).
>
> Funniest thing I've heard on this list in years. Exactly how did you get a
> "right" to someone else's work?

You didn't follow the link and read the rest of the quote, did you? What
makes you think I was speaking only of code?

> "When the hares made speeches in the assembly and demanded that all should
> have equality, the lions replied, "Where are your claws and teeth?"  --
> attributed to Antisthenes in Aristotle, 'Politics', 3.7.2

Yes, and Stalin dismissively asked an advisor how many divisions the Pope
had. You aren't really advancing a might-makes-right argument are you? It
doesn't always work that way RAH, you ought to know that by now.

> It's hard to remember, but cypherpunks write code. Well, most of us do. :-)
>
> Their own code.
>
> You want code, you write it.

Yes, you've advanced that notion before. That sort of penurious antipathy is
why encrypted communications as a matter of course will never catch on. Not
among the masses where it is most needed. Outside of a few specialized
transactions of the financial nature, which is not at all what cypherpunkism is
really about. Or at least, what it used to be about.

--Ulex