[gnu at toad.com: May 24: National Day of Outrage at NSA/Telco surveillance]

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue May 23 05:17:39 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 08:06:18AM -0400, R.A. Hettinga wrote:

> Reality causes politics. Not the other way around. Physics causes finance,
> finance causes politics. Run it backward and Lysenko's your uncle.

People cause politics. And people are perfectly capable of cheerfully
disregarding that financial reality (more consensual hallucination, like).
If it's different in your model, then your model is inaccurate,
and needs adjusting.

As to physical models for people, we're not nearly there with
a statistical peopledynamics -- it's a nonlinear system to start with,
so there will never be a good descriptor.

Protests do work. So do lobbies. Motivating people and cultivating
contacts is hard -- and of course money helps here, too. All true,
all orthogonal to writing code.

I'm really surprised I had to diagram that for you.