NS&AT&T

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed May 17 12:42:41 PDT 2006

Well, I suspect they do a lot more before inspection, and use a statistical
model to trigger whether the actually grab and backhaul any piece of
traffic.

"Obviously", Source and destination country will matter, then within the US
source and destination IP address (eg, knock into low-risk bucket if both
source and destination IP correspond to Citigroup, even if one IP is within
Saudi)...application is obviously going to matter, presence of crypto (and
possible "crypto depth") and all the way up to L7 including key words.

Clearly, this policy is going to be risk-model driven and will undergo
periodic changes (implying too that NSA has their own LAN by which they
download new policies remotely into the Narus boxes). It would be "nice" too
if their models fill up their available backhauling bandwidth.

Now that just determines what traffic gets backhauled. It's a big vacuum
cleaner that grabs as much as they can within requiring that they build a
completely duplicate optical network. After that the traffic gets pulled
into the Beltway (most likely) where further models probably determine
whether the traffic gets stored, read by humans "now", or whatever.

Note that by this time having a human actually bother to "read" an email or
whatever is not necessarily important, even if it's encrypted.

What this means (to your point) is that merely building better crypto is
only one axis to protect your privacy. If your communication gets as far as
the Beltway and human examiners (or possibly gets shot down to their
subterranean cracking farm) then you're already "of interest". With good
enough crypto it's -possible- that you can thwart their attempts to actually
read your email, and that's good because it forces them to decide whether
they want to expend the big $$$ and risk exposure for a field operation.

But the other axis is statistical (as you point out). It's far better to
never get caught in the NSA driftnets in the first place. This means stego,
this means P2P (hum...what if I had a P2P video of a document I wanted to
transmit...NSA wouldn't be able to read that document, right?) this means
(somehow) encouraging more crypto in more places so your traffic doesn't
stick out.

-TD