ISPs providing "warrant canaries"

Jason Arnaute non_secure at yahoo.com
Tue May 16 19:26:48 PDT 2006

--- coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:

> > This is less of an ISP and more of a "filesystem
> in
> > the sky" ... an offsite filesystem.  I encrypt all
> of
> > the data I send there, so it's not an issue
>
> no keys are stored at the remote location?  or the
> traffic is
> encrypted before the files are stored to disk
> plaintext?

Yes, that's right.  Unlike Iron Mountain and the other
commercial offsite data storage providers, rsync.net
is open to the entire SSH suite.

So what I do is mount my offsite filesystem over
sshfs, so i can use it as a local filesystem, and then
create a FreeBSD GBDE image on it, which I then also
mount.

So it is a remote encrypted filesystem over ssh.  If
my data is ever seized or a search warrant is ever
served, all they will see is a 4 gigabyte file of
random bits.

So in the end, the "warrant canary" doesn't concern me
much practically, because I don't really care if
rsync.net gets served ... it's still nice to see
though.

YMMV.