ISPs providing "warrant canaries"

Jason Arnaute non_secure at yahoo.com
Tue May 16 15:37:26 PDT 2006

--- coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I am using a new offsite storage vendor,
> rsync.net,
> > which publishes what they call a "warrant canary":

(snip)

> > How large of a grain of salt should I take this
> with ?
>
> doesn't seem too useful.  if a warrant/NSL is
> served, was it for your
> system?  do you now switch providers?  assume all
> secrets are
> compromised?

Well, no it's not useful in _avoiding_ the warrant,
but nothing really is.  It seems useful in defeating
the secrecy of the warrant.  I'd rather know than not
know, all else being equal ...

> if you are concerned then a hosting facility is
> probably the wrong
> place to keep your data / servers.

This is less of an ISP and more of a "filesystem in
the sky" ... an offsite filesystem.  I encrypt all of
the data I send there, so it's not an issue, but it is
an issue to know when things like this happen, and I
like their stance.