ISPs providing "warrant canaries"

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Tue May 16 15:01:31 PDT 2006

On 5/16/06, Jason Arnaute <non_secure at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am using a new offsite storage vendor, rsync.net,
> which publishes what they call a "warrant canary":
> Is this what they have been called, or did they make
> up the term "warrant canary" ?

i've never heard of it before and google seems to think they coined it.

> How large of a grain of salt should I take this with ?

doesn't seem too useful.  if a warrant/NSL is served, was it for your
system?  do you now switch providers?  assume all secrets are
compromised?

if you are concerned then a hosting facility is probably the wrong
place to keep your data / servers.