Federal Source to ABC News: We Know Who You're Calling

Robert J. Berger rberger at ibd.com
Mon May 15 02:12:07 PDT 2006

[So now we get an idea of at least one thing the NSA is doing with
the Data they have collected from the phone companies - Rob]

Federal Source to ABC News: We Know Who You're Calling

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/05/federal_source_.html

May 15, 2006 10:33 AM
Brian Ross and Richard Esposito Report:

A senior federal law enforcement official tells ABC News the
government is tracking the phone numbers we call in an effort to root
out confidential sources.

"It's time for you to get some new cell phones, quick," the source
told us in an in-person conversation.

ABC News does not know how the government determined who we are
calling, or whether our phone records were provided to the government
as part of the recently-disclosed NSA collection of domestic phone
calls.

Other sources have told us that phone calls and contacts by reporters
for ABC News, along with the New York Times and the Washington Post,
are being examined as part of a widespread CIA leak investigation.

One former official was asked to sign a document stating he was not a
confidential source for New York Times reporter James Risen.

Our reports on the CIA's secret prisons in Romania and Poland were
known to have upset CIA officials.

People questioned by the FBI about leaks of intelligence information
say the CIA was also disturbed by ABC News reports that revealed the
use of CIA predator missiles inside Pakistan.

Under Bush Administration guidelines, it is not considered illegal
for the government to keep track of numbers dialed by phone customers.

The official who warned ABC News said there was no indication our
phones were being tapped so the content of the conversation could be
recorded.

A pattern of phone calls from a reporter, however, could provide
valuable clues for leak investigators.

May 15, 2006 | Permalink

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
bbbb
Robert J. Berger - Internet Bandwidth Development, LLC.
Voice: 408-882-4755 eFax: +1-408-490-2868
http://www.ibd.com

You are subscribed as eugen at leitl.org
To manage your subscription, go to

----- End forwarded message -----