[dave at farber.net: [IP] NSA has massive database of Americans' phone calls]

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Thu May 11 09:44:11 PDT 2006

No surprise, really. Points to one main thing, though: Without technically
opening a message NSA can garner large amounts of useful information.
Between source/destination addresses, application, existence of encryption
and other details they can take a good guess as to whether it would be
worthwhile to (technically) break the law and actually have a human read the
message.

And of course, no one's asking what it means when NSA says they haven't
"read" the message. Does this mean by a human? If only by humans, how much
of the letter can machines digest and act upon it before it's considered
"read"? If a machine reads a message stating that Mohammed Al-Qaeda will be
on the corner of Roosevelt Avenue and 56th street, and then that machine
sends a message to the guys in dark suits to pick up Mohammed for "probing",
does NSA (or anyone else in this country) consider that a violation of the
law?

-TD