MIME and Cypherpunks

Riad S. Wahby rsw at jfet.org
Thu May 11 02:47:05 PDT 2006

Damian Gerow <dgerow at afflictions.org> wrote:
> I've been meaning to ask about this for a while, but...
>
> Thus spake Eugen Leitl (eugen at leitl.org) [11/05/06 05:01]:
> : [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of signature.asc]
>
> demime on cypherpunks?  I know I'm just a user, but this is one of the last
> places I'd expect to see MIME attachments, thus PGP signatures, stripped.

Point of order: it's not at all necessary to use MIME in order to PGP
sign a message.

As far as the why: this is a carryover from the days of the LNE.com
node;  Eric's filter set was very popular and made for a very
maintainable node, and so I've continued to use it.

I suppose I might consider looking into making exceptions for
attachments with particular MIME types, but that's probably opening a
nasty can of worms.  Personally I'd rather forget that MIME exists and
continue to strip all of that crap.

Holy shit, I'm turning into Tim.  "MIME encrustations" indeed!

--
Riad S. Wahby
rsw at jfet.org