[leichter_jerrold at emc.com: Piercing network anonymity in real time]

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Wed May 10 17:21:03 PDT 2006

Thus spake Justin (justin-cypherpunks at soze.net) [10/05/06 18:13]:
: Google had, and has, an html cache of the pdf document.  Enter the URL
: as given into the google search box.

(I won't carry this thread further.  My apologies to the list for taking it
this far.)

I'm well aware that if Google doesn't have a cache, they will have translated
it to HTML.  But:

a) I don't trust Google.  Call me paranoid, but there's something about them
that doesn't sit well with me.

b) Using Google's HTML translation of a page doesn't help me when I'm at an
SSH console with no browser.  That's where fetch/wget, pdf conversion tools,
and text viewing tools come in handy.

c) If I was just complaining about not being able to get the document, I'd
have just shut up.  I'm not going to whine to a public list about not being
able to download a press release in PDF form.  My comment was more the
curiousities that the same day the PDF was posted to at least four
lists/groups I pay attention to, their server started returning an HTTP Bad
Request error for most (if not all) pages.