[dave at farber.net: [IP] more on Hayden's Mistaken Understanding of the Fourth]

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Mon May 8 03:28:24 PDT 2006

i needed a good laugh today; what fortune...

> ... "Inherent foreign intelligence value is one of the metrics we must
> use. ... [T]he standard of what was
> relevant and valuable, and therefore, what was reasonable, would
> understandably change, I think, as smoke billowed from two American
> cities and a Pennsylvania farm field. And we acted accordingly."
> GEN. HAYDEN: Sure. I didn't craft the authorization. I am responding
> to a lawful order. All right? The attorney general has averred to the
> lawfulness of the order. Just to be very clear, and believe me, if
> there's any amendment to the Constitution that employees of the
> National Security Agency are familiar with, it's the Fourth. And it
> is a reasonableness standard in the Fourth Amendment. And so what
> you've raised to me ,and I'm not a lawyer, and don't want to become
> one , what you've raised to me is, in terms of quoting the Fourth
> Amendment, is an issue of the Constitution. The constitutional
> standard is "reasonable." And we believe, I am convinced that we are
> lawful because what it is we're doing is reasonable.
> From General Hayden's reading of the Fourth Amendment it follows
> that the State must seek a search warrant only when it proposes an
> unreasonable search. Reductio ad absurdum.

i passed by the much expanded nedonna beach[1] landing point and
facilities the other day. i am very curious to see the monetary
value[2] attached to this "reasonable searching" if it ever comes to
light...

1. http://www.ofcc.com/cable_locations.htm |
http://www.eyeball-series.org/cablew-eyeball.htm

2. every dollar they print chips away at the value of the bills in
your pocket/account.  as if taxation wasn't bad enough. where is the
TIA/echelon refund on 1040? *grin*
 http://canadaeast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060508/TTMONEY08/605080482/-1/MONEY
"""
Gold prices still expected to climb

Consumers and investors pushed demand for gold to a record level of
$53.6 billion last year, fuelling the precious metal's price ever
higher.
... many economists expect the US dollar to decline. "Historically,
all else equal, the dollar price of gold rises as the dollar itself
weakens," Murenbeeld says.
"""