janus wireless faq

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 19:23:34 PST 2006

On 3/28/06, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:

- why "wireless"?

we believe that wireless is the most robust form of communication when
implemented properly*.  we also believe that any communication between
secure domains should be considered public and open to active
attackers (like wireless is).

for this reason strong privacy and authentication must always be used
for secure network communication.

a proper wireless implementation can transmit datagrams in an
injection style manner and receive any datagrams in a monitor style
manner.  all packets received must be authenticated before passing up
to higher level (IP/etc) stacks. all unauthenticated packets must be
dropped silently.  the rate of transmit should be as low as possible
while still retaining sufficient communication bandwidth.  the rate of
transmit should also be considerate to the needs of others who can
hear your transmission and may defer theirs accordingly.  deference
should not open up denial of service vulnerabilities but is encouraged
when possible to provide a cooperative multi-network with sufficient
bandwidth for all.

[the technical complexity of this is high and we are being
intentionally vague at this point until further refinements are in
place and this can be described in detail via working implementation
on atheros / prism2 hardware that does not DoS other wireless
technologies.  802.11 is a good example of an improper implementation
that is trivial to DoS via spoofed packets at the MAC layer
(deauth/disassoc injection).]