[Full-disclosure] Fwd: On sandboxes, and why I ... don't care.

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 03:16:02 PST 2006

On 3/30/06, michaelslists at gmail.com <michaelslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just because no-one has told you, or you haven't seen it doesn't mean
> it doesn't happen.

amen.  what's the cost if you are wrong?  (the likely case over a
sufficient period of time against motivated attackers)

that artificial security flavoring is only reassuring while the luck
continues...

> It's pretty concerning to me, as a java programmer, that the verifier
> is off by default and hence any jar running can run free or the
> contraints I've tried to enforce. Or that another j2ee app could
> possibly be viewing the data I was processing in a shared-hosting
> environment.

in a shared processing environment you have bigger concerns, but i do
agree this is disturbing if your system was designed to operate in
privacy.

> And further, if your code _doesn't_ run properly with the verifier,
> then what the hell are you doing?

probably coding like the other 97% of the planet.  (now that's
_really_ concerning)