Please DO NOT refer to our High Gain Omni Directional as Pipe Bomb

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Mar 14 13:12:27 PST 2006

Tee-hee.

Forwarded message:

Subject:  Immediate Action Required: Please DO NOT refer to our High
Gain Omni Directional  (ML-5299-HPA1-01 & ML-2499-HPA3-01/-02) as Pipe
Bomb

Hi all: We had a  recent  reported incident where a partner carrying
one of our omni directional antennas  labeled Pipe Bomb was arrested
at Orange County airport and led to the airport  shutdown for some
period of time. Homeland Security and TSA have been in touch  with
Anthony Bartolo regarding this incidence and we need to act promptly
to  prevent any future incidences.

>From our end we have gone back  checked with our supplier to ensure
there isn't a Pipe Bomb reference in the  product description,
packaging or labeling and found that it is not the case. We  have
pulled products from our inventory and reviewed that we do not have
refer  to these products as pipe bombs anywhere.  Our guess with this
particular  incidence is that the parts were re-labeled by the
partner/end-user as a pipe  bomb b
referencing it as pipe bomb.

When I do a Google search I find the  following resellers using a
description of Pipe Bomb with Symbol antenna  products:

1)        System ID- Part of Informatics. T.  Ellis from System ID
confirmed that they have cleaned up their website since the
incidence. Google still shows the Pipe Bomb description and it may
take a few  days for them to update the description.

2)        Direct Dial in Canada: Website  needs to be cleaned up.
David if you have contact within this firm.. can  you personally reach
out to make sure this happens quickly. I am sending this  request to
their generic customer service email id.

3)        The Barcode Warehouse in  UK: Ditto as 2 above.

I would urge all Symbol associates  to NOT refer to/label/mark  these
antennas as Pipe bomb in informal or  formal communications. Thank you
for your prompt attention to this matter.

SYMBOL ACCESS  POINT ANTENNA, 802.11A, 5GHZ, OMNI (PIPE  BOMB), 5DBI

SYMBOL ACCESS POINT        ANTENNA, 802.11A, 5GHZ, OMNI (PIPE
BOMB), 5DBI - ML-5299-HPA1-01.
www.systemid.com/RF_-_WIRELESS/
SYMBOL_ACCESS_POINT_--107553.asp - 51k - Cached - Similar pages

ML-2499-HPA3-01 - Canada : SYMBOL OMNI WIRELESS ANTENNA (PIPE BOMB ...

Canada ML-2499-HPA3-01        SYMBOL OMNI WIRELESS ANTENNA
(PIPE BOMB), 5 DBI, 2.4 GHZ.        ... Omni antenna (Pipe Bomb), 5
dBi, 2.4 GHz ...
www.directdial.com/ca/shop/item/ML-2499-HPA3-01.html        - 27k -
Cached - Similar pages

Symbol AP-5131  Wireless Access Point - The Barcode Warehouse

Symbol AP-5131        Wireless Access Point by Symbol Technologies
from The ... (Pipe Bomb), 3.3dBi, 2.4 GHz Availability:        Ordered
upon request, o?=51.36 ex vat ...
www.thebarcodewarehouse.co.uk/wireless/
symbol+technologies/ap-5131+wireless+access+point/997/0/5        - 77k
- Cached - Similar pages

Symbol WS2000 -  The Barcode Warehouse

Symbol WS2000 by        Symbol Technologies from The        Barcode
Warehouse. ... High        Performabce Omni Antenna (Pipe
bomb), 2.4 GHz, 5dBi RBNC connector ...
www.thebarcodewarehouse.co.uk/
wireless/symbol+technologies/ws2000/827/0/5 -        101k - Mar 6,
2006 - Cached - Similar pages

----- End forwarded message -----