[Clips] Is Skype a haven for criminals?

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Tue Mar 14 09:50:32 PST 2006

Thus spake Steve Schear (s.schear at comcast.net) [11/03/06 01:47]:
: One way to provide some measure of protection is to proxy Skype, for
: example from with a VPN.  At least they won't be able to ID your IP
: address.  If both parties are inside the VPN all the better.

I would beg to differ, but that's not a conversation for cypherpunks.

To address your original question, a link to a page containing a plethora of
information about Skype was just posted to another mailing list I watch:

    <http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~salman/skype/>

Depending on the paper you read, the security seems sound.  Specifically:

    <http://www.skype.com/security/files/2005-031%20security%20evaluation.pdf>

Traditional warnings and caveats about studies sponsored by ${COMPANY}
proving ${COMPANY}'s products are secure/fast/etc. should be heeded.