On being a cypherpunk

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Mon Mar 13 17:16:32 PST 2006

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Damian Gerow wrote:

> Thus spake Greg Broiles (gbroiles at gmail.com) [13/03/06 18:31]:
> : > I've known for years (it was on the website holding the subscription form)
> : > that cypherpunks write code.  But I've never seen discussion behind the
> : > phrase, only of the phrase itself.
> :
> : See "A Cypherpunk's Manifesto" at
> : <http://www.activism.net/cypherpunk/manifesto.html>.
>
> Now I know why Mr. Hughes 'writes code'.  What about you?  Or are you
> insinuating that Mr. Hughes speaks on your behalf?

In this forum, it is unlikely that anyone speaks on anyone elses behalf
:-/

In all seriousness, except for the commonality of the CP agenda,
self-identified "Cypherpunks" could not be categorized by any common
property.

I Wrote Code, and now help others to Write Code as a deliberately radical
act in furtherance of my personal political agenda.

I believe that only in *action* can a human claim the right to exist free
of fetters, and that the most efficient action I can take is the one that
impacts the most people with the least effort: code.

In the end, I think that the code will set you free.

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org
0xBD4A95BF

'The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments
it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest
limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of
the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext
whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the
brink of destruction.'

St. George Tucker