Justin Berry, Jimbo Wales, and Wikipedia

Eric Cordian emc at artifact.psychedelic.net
Sun Mar 12 02:38:04 PST 2006

A few weeks ago, a NY Times reporter named Kurt Eichenwald wrote a series
of articles on a 19 year old young man named Justin Berry, who made
hundreds of thousands of dollars starting at age 13 performing sexually in
front of his webcam, and subsequently ran a number of pay teen sites with
sexual content.

There used to be a fairly lengthy article about Mr. Berry on Wikipedia,
but it was summarily deleted, along with its entire revision history, by
Wikipedia's owner, Jimbo Wales, and it is represented that Mr. Berry
called Mr. Wales and expressed displeasure at his portrayal.

Since that time, the article has been reduced to a 2-sentence stub, and
all attempts to add any additional information to it, no matter how well
sourced, have resulted in the additions being reverted, usually
accompanied by various incomprehensible mutterings by Wikipedia admins,
who, when asked specific direct questions about what was wrong with the
original article, or why specific information can't be added to the
current one, become non-responsive and stonewalled.

To the best of my knowlege, no one has successfully added any information
to the article since Jimbo deleted it, and discussion amongst admins about
the article is taking place out of band, and not on any of the Wikipedia
pages where such discussion usually takes place.

Now of course, Wikipedia is a private organization, which can do anything
it wants on servers that it owns.  Nonetheless, the actions which are
taking place are in direct contravention of stated Wikipedia policy, and
there seems to be a deliberate attempt to not be forthcoming with any
information on the subject.

Everyone who has pressed the issue has gotten banned for various contrived
excuses like "uncivility" and "trollishness", and even comments about the
situation on peoples private talk pages have been edited by admins.

While Wikipedia is a private organization, they are attempting to create a
reputation for themselves as an unbiased source of truthful information.
Clearly they have a choice of being truthful and being respected, or of
censoring, violating their own policies, and not being taken seriously.

When things like this happen, our respect for them, and our view of them
as an authoritative source of information, need to be adjusted
accordingly.

I found an interesting quote by Jimbo Wales about Wikipedia and the truth.

"If a viewpoint is held by an extremely small (or vastly limited)
minority, it doesn't belong in Wikipedia (except perhaps in some ancillary
article) regardless of whether it's true or not; and regardless of whether
you can prove it or not."

Wikipedia, in the propaganda it writes about itself, represents itself as
not censoring even offensive material, and arriving at article content
entirely through consensus.  The reality, at least in this case, seems to
be a lot different than the officially stated policy.

I invite Jimbo Wales or someone else who can speak for the Wikimedia
Foundation, to respond to this post, and give us all a straight answer
about exactly what is going on with this particular article.

If nothing can be added to Justin Berry's article because Justin or his
handlers would be displeased by it, do we apply the same standards to
George Bush's article, or Scott Peterson's?

One wonders why a teenage male sex performer merits such personal
attention from Wikipedia's owner, allegedly a wealthy married
heterosexual.

--
Eric Michael Cordian 0+