POLL: crypto hardware & Fwd: [Xen-devel] Announce of our Xen project; Routing simulation with Einar (fwd)

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Fri Mar 10 22:56:32 PST 2006

Thus spake coderman (coderman at gmail.com) [11/03/06 01:59]:
: > (Actually, something else I'd like to see: A C7 with >4 on-board NICs, or a
: > full-size ATX C7.  They make great little routers.)
:
: www.routerboard.com has some PCI quad port NIC's with the same VIA
: rhine chips; unfortunately 2 NIC's is the most i've seen ship on the
: mini-itx.
: (routerboard also has a PCI to 4 x miniPCI adapter that is great for
: wireless gear)

I've contemplated going the quad-NIC route, but that still doesn't alleviate
my two other requirements: RAID card and wireles adapter.

: i've used the PCI riser/adapter to mount two PCI cards horizontally
: off the mini-itx for adding a quad port ethernet (4xtulip) and a quad
: mPCI filled with atheros CM9 radios.  best little router you can ask
: for, IMHO.

Agreed.  Until you require three physically distinct PCI cards.  Unless
there's a triple-riser card out there I've not yet come across (likely there
is).

What distinguishes the C5P from the C3?  Aside from specs, I mean: how would
I be able to identify one?  (It's almost as if VIA is trying to kill the
line off.)

: this would be easy (easier at least) with a nano-itx form factor.  i
: know they make boards with LVDS video built on, but they seem to be
: hard to get ahold of, mainly for OEM applications rather than direct
: retail.  it will be interesting to see how this plays out...

<http://www.mini-itx.com/> has always seemed to have stock of LVDS-based
boards.  That's what I was using in the original C3-based home-brew laptop.