POLL: crypto hardware & Fwd: [Xen-devel] Announce of our Xen project; Routing simulation with Einar (fwd)

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Fri Mar 10 17:36:23 PST 2006

Thus spake coderman (coderman at gmail.com) [10/03/06 12:31]:
: > I've got five systems (three of which I use on a daily basis) with the
: > Nehemiah core.
:
: i'm curious how you use them.  care to share?
:
: my two main uses for the C5P systems are loop-aes w/padlock and key
: scrubbing for file storage and IPsec endpoints.

I use them for pretty much the same thing: IPSec endpoints, entropy, and
Freenet (though that only really benefits from the entropy, IIRC).  I have
to admit, I don't make much use of the AES stuff on a daily basis.

: > A local supplier just notifed me the other day that they've
: > now got Nano-ITX in stock, although they're still C3s.
:
: wow, i didn't think these were going to be ready till Q3.  did they
: have any specs?  i'll look around today and see if i can find more
: details.

EPIA-N8000E, EPIA-NL8000E, and EPIA-NL10000:

    <http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/nano_itx/epia_n/index.jsp>
    <http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/nano_itx/epia_nl/index.jsp>

They're running somewhere around USD$300/per.

If you're looking at them, where does the 'Luke CoreFusion processor' fit
in?  I remember them saying they'd be using Luke in the C7, but I'm hesitant
to believe the C7 is already viable.

(Actually, something else I'd like to see: A C7 with >4 on-board NICs, or a
full-size ATX C7.  They make great little routers.)

: yeah, i've been lusting after a dual proc board since they were
: revealed back in Q2 '04.  perhaps the market just isn't there?  other
: products announced later have made it into production before these SMP
: boards...

VIA has a reputation for taking their time to bring products to market,
after they've been announced.  I'd love to be a fly on their walls to see
just what the holdup is.

: i'm wondering if the Balance systems will be updated with a C7 when
: available.  not a great laptop, but would work nicely as a crypto
: accelerated endpoint:
:
: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3504708
: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3595030

Geez, I had no idea!

Hopefully, as there's a C7 line dedicated to mobile computing, someone will
pick these up.  If not, it's back to the drawing board to make a home-brew
laptop (assuming the chips -- and ideally even a DP configuration --
actually show up on the market).