[Clips] Is Skype a haven for criminals?

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Thu Mar 9 23:04:57 PST 2006

Thus spake Steve Schear (s.schear at comcast.net) [09/03/06 13:48]:
: My understanding is that encryption between Skype users is through remote
: key generation and key exchange and that any intermediaries (including
: Skype) don't have the necessary key information to decrypt the data
: streams.  Can anyone support or refute this assertion?

While I have no key insights into how Skype encryption is handled -- aside
from the fact that most crypto-knowledgable communities view it skeptically
-- I /do/ know they've stated they will fully comply with any wiretapping
request, and declined to comment further on what exactly that meant.

Personally, I'm holding out for zFone and ZRTP.

  - Damian