[dewayne at warpspeed.com: [Dewayne-Net] New paint blocks out cell phone signals]

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Mar 2 13:10:59 PST 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 12:58:03PM -0800, coderman wrote:

> hmm, faraday cage on demand sounds kind of useful.  they don't mention
> the level of attenuation though, and i suspect it's not that great.

It sounds a bit like snake oil, especially since "nano" was mentioned.
I can't imagine this would do anything other than vanilla ferrite paint
on metal foil.

It is reasonably difficult (and expensive) to shield whole rooms though
(I've worked in one). Grounded chickenwire in walls doesn't even
begin to approach it.

> is anyone else aware of systems that can provide variable rf
> attenuation on demand?

If it has to be switchable, it has to be active. Sounds improbably
expensive and finicky, at least with today's technology.