Fwd: Some legal trouble with TOR in France

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Wed Jun 21 17:50:12 PDT 2006

As usual, i'm late to the party.

> Hey, if you're going to feed the trolls, might as well feed them something
> interesting...
> Does it bare investigation, or bear it :-) ?

I vote to bar the quesion. :-/

> And of course there's no need for government FUD in a cypherpunks environment,
> since there has always been plenty of volunteer work by the private sector.

Which is a great intro to a few of the first random thoughts I had while
reading this missive from the Sooper Sekrit [French] Gub'mint Agent:

How convenient that Frog is the example used, as Frog is well known for
it's [successful] attack against the system.  What better way to get the
locals to start nodding their heads than to use this well known and long
identified broken node", while implicitly maintaining that 'Le Author"
does't know anything about that.

"About TOR now: I MAY not say all what I know, as the case is currently
investigated by our services and I don't want to get into trouble!"

Yet s/he chooses a "safe" remailer like service to "hide" behind? Wait - I
thought we just learned that _all_  remailers and their relatives were
under hostile control?

"About 4 years ago (I don't remember exactly, and I am at home now, I
haven't my documents with me), we visited the operator of the
remailers FROG and AZERTY."

Since when would an agent have the files from a four year old (assumedly
Black) "operation" easily at hand?

The rest of this latter is just well known crap smooshed together with a
Secret-Club Handshake and a warning to 'be careful' - no duh!

WTF was the actual _point_ of this in the first place?  What would the
possible payoff be?  The writer is for sure no secret agent, nor likely
even playing one in her garage: does he merely get off by posting stupid
shit on a public list?  Nobody truly familiar with any annonymizing
service is going to pay that thing any attention, but newbies *might*
(depending on their naivete and gullibility).  Even so, standing by
itself, it's not even a howl in the wind, it's a whisper on a
subway...inaudible, unintelligible, and a waste of oxygen.

Like this reply...

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org
0xBD4A95BF

'The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments
it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest
limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of
the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext
whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the
brink of destruction.'

St. George Tucker