prove it isn't ...

Gregory Hicks ghicks at well.com
Sat Jun 17 19:20:48 PDT 2006

> Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:53:46 +1000
> From: mikeiscool <michaelslists at gmail.com>
> To: cypherpunks at jfet.org
> Subject: prove it isn't ...
>
> hello,
>
>  i was just wondering ... has anyone considered a time where the
> governments will declare all encrypted blocks to contain messages
> about illegal activities. that is to say, if you encrypt your
> emails/communications, and the government wants to know the contents,
> or use it against you, they will declare it to contain whatever they
> want. it will then be up to you to prove it _doesn't_ contain this.
>
>  how can we defend against this? deniable encryption? pretend the
> block isn't encrypted at all, but that it is random data, or some
> other type of content (data for a maths project, etc)?
>
>  is it forseable that this will happen (in any given country)? i think
> so. i think it already happens in some forms elsewhere. i.e. illegal
> money. "prove this money came from valid resources, otherwise it's
> illegal". i know that happens in australia already.

Damn!  The cat's out of the bag.

> -- mic

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin