[dave at farber.net: [IP] more on Police Blotter: Laptop border searches OK'd]

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 31 01:35:03 PDT 2006

Hum. Is it possible to make a laptop boot up with a 'fake' (thouugh usable)
directory tree? Of course, if the copss do the math (and they likely won't)
they might be able too detect that there's a hell of a lot of nothing
somewhere on the drive, but methinks one can also put fake info about the
size of the disc and remaining space too.

And then of course  if this confiscated laptop ever sees online, it should
squeal everything it knows about what's been attempted and/or accessed (ie,
to you the rightful owner, of course). And if it stays on line then one
should be able to remotely retrieve even the hidden and encrypted data.

meanwhile, the cops wil continue to believe that you've just got some fairly
banal usiness data on there.

One good thing is that I think this battle will ultimately be won in favor
of privacy. The statte can't really can't afford to train cops too be crypto
experts.

-TD