[IP] Can you be compelled to give a password? [was:

Lauren Weinstein lauren at vortex.com
Fri Jul 28 02:40:02 PDT 2006

Police Blotter: Laptop border searches OK'd]

Dave, the trend is toward laws that penalize refusal to cooperate
with demands for decryption keys.  This concept can work in various
ways.  In the border case, for example, a person might be refused
entry -- or perhaps suffer confiscation of related property in some
cases -- if they declined to provide the keys.

In the case of criminal convictions, additional sentence and fine
penalties can be imposed for uncooperative attitudes in this regard.

Keep in mind that in the eyes of some in government, only people
with something to hide would bother using encryption in the first
place.  From that assumption flows a sea of potential abuses.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren at vortex.com or lauren at pfir.org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com

  - - -