Cracking RSA?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Jul 20 09:18:23 PDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 08:57:23AM -0700, Morlock Elloi wrote:

> There is a constant 20 years lag between a crack and public awareness of
the
> same. We'll know in 2016.

It's too bad gpg doesn't support use of large one-time pad files, one
for a single recipient, or a group of recipients.

> But you are reasonably safe in the meantime - remember, during WW2 Germans

I use encryption for the same reason I use envelopes for my mail.
It puts up a higher threshold for getting at the contents.
NSA recommends to move on to elliptic curve crypto
http://www.nsa.gov/ia/industry/crypto_elliptic_curve.cfm
whether this is something they can break far more easily,
or because nobody can crack it but them, or because
nobody can yet crack it.

Related question: do you think AES is weaker than 3DES?

> submarines were allowed to sink many ships in order to mask breaking of
Enigma.