[p2p-hackers] Codes for Error Correction in P2P Nets

Michael Parker mgp at ucla.edu
Tue Jan 31 11:19:42 PST 2006

A very good overview of all network coding for the purposes of data
distribution (i.e., making digital fountains) can be found at:

www.eecs.harvard.edu/~michaelm/postscripts/itw2004.pdf

Some of the more interesting and practical codes, such as Raptor codes
(discussed at the end of that paper), are covered by patents. Another
network coding that is comparable to Raptor codes is Online codes. The
following paper, by the creator of Online codes, presents an efficient
algorithm for downloading large files using them:

http://mnl.cs.stonybrook.edu/home/karthik/BitTorrent/papers/incentives/toread
/rateless_codes.ps

IIRC, the creator of Online codes -- Petar Maymounkov -- started a
company Rateless and was going to patent them. But Online codes fell
into the scope of Digital Fountain's patents, who own the Raptor codes.
So I don't know who owns the patents for Online codes anymore, but rest
assured they're patented :(

- Mike